Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Good morning and "Eh, what's up Doc?"

”Be vewy, vewy quiet, I’m hunting wabbits” for Elmer, and from the rabbit, “Eh, what’s up Doc?” I thought maybe that would be a good way to say hello on this Tuesday, September 25, 2012. Those familiar quotes from the cartoon world actually came before the characters were fully developed and polished into those that became very famous. Not everyone recognizes them anymore because they are not so much a part of life as they once were. In fact, it can be somewhat exasperating trying to use these types of expressions in conversation only to be met with a blank stare. I'm sure that happened to those who preceded us but it does tend to date one's life and the material used. The other day when our nation commemorated the 9-11 anniversary, it was pointed out that the vast majority of 11th graders were in kindergarten when that heinous act occurred. That's why it is taught as history. And, that's why I find myself explaining my jokes, quotes, and metaphors. Yes, things do change. Who would have ever thought we would live to see how a white boy would become one of the most famous rappers and a black man would become our president? Do we live in a great country, or what?

I actually saw that quote about the rapper and the president. I didn't come up with that on my own. I assume it refers to Eminem and of course, President Obama. I do know who Eminem is but I can't say that I know any of his music, if that's what it is called. But, I thought it was an interesting way to portray the diversity of change within our culture, so that's why I used it. I heard a radio host talking about his wife's view of America. She came to our country from India to study for an advanced degree. She ended up becoming an American citizen. Her most telling observation about America that stands out to her is how we are able to put the past behind us and stay focused on the future. She said that was not the culture she came from. I know when we were in Scotland we saw how those folks are very preoccupied with and still arguing over battles that were fought hundreds of years ago. And, to be clear, there are some people here in our land that want to always revisit and rehash the past, however, I believe her observation to be on target because I don't know of any nation, made up of folks literally from every corner of the globe, that could have survived the challenges we have faced while contributing such greatness to the world. Be thankful folks, this is a blessed land, and may God renew our vision again is my prayer. Amen.

You have to hand it to them. Apple has done it again. They have produced another mega money maker with the release of their new iPhone 5. They booked more than 2 million orders before it even became available. Last Friday people flocked to stores and joined lines that had been formed just after midnight on Thursday so they could have a shot at this new intelligent phone. To say that Apple customers are devoted way underestimates their cult like following. It's almost like a form of technology religion. The cell phone I use came out in September of 2007. It makes and receives calls. Not much more. I think it might receive text but I don't have that feature yet. I don't have a problem with folks who do want the latest, greatest gizmo out there. That's not me. Maybe that's why I wouldn't recognize any of that white guy's rap music. Maybe that explains a lot. Maybe not. Don't send me a text about it because I won't see it. Until next time, may God bless each one. Amen.   .....More later.

No comments: