Thursday, September 13, 2012

I was clueless before being clueless was cool.

We knew the cooler weather wouldn't last but we certainly appreciated it as a tremendous blessing. It is Thursday, September 13, 2012, and I greet you as we continue our journey. I will tell you that sometimes I have to report myself as guilty. Guilty of being a slow learner. The other morning I was reminded that walking around in the dark can present some issues. I needed to check on a document in the main office. It was in the wee hours of the morning and I was the only one here. I typically take my flashlight. I didn't. I was thinking that maybe my night vision would kick in. It didn't. I had some stairs to negotiate. I had a cup of Community in one hand. Everything went very well until the last step. My leg went up expecting another stair but it came down on the porch. Kaboom! I think the old adage became a reality: A fool and his Community is soon parted. I need to re-remember to not do that again, again. But, I pass it on to you so that you can learn from my mistake. I suppose since that was not the first time, I actually wasn't too disappointed, other than losing a half cup of that wake up medicine along with a few splashes here and there on my apparel. Old people. You just have to love them.

I still have occasion to be out and about on the major freeway system in the main part of the metro confusion that goes on each day. It's called the rush hour. Called. Best I can tell there's a lot of trying but very little rushing going on. I was on something called a parkway the other morning. That was a good name because that's what most of us were doing, parking. Parking on the way. Parkway. You got it. But watching the cars dart in and out reminded me of when I was a kid and would go to the Parish fair each fall. (Louisiana=Parishes, not counties.) They had bumper cars and we would reel around here and there looking for someone to collide with. It's somewhat the same on these major thoroughfares with all the different colors and the weaving in and out to get really nowhere at the same speed. It can be amusing, especially if you are the observer and not the one doing the darting. I also like it when I finally get up to speed and am clipping along at 70 miles per hour. Suddenly a car zooms by me like I am standing still. That's not so unusual, but when it's an older grandma or grandpa it just gives me a little injection of encouragement. I suppose I find myself thinking that's what I want to be when I grow up, or something like that.

Thinking about that little episode on the stairs in the dark reminded me of a few other self inflicted mishaps, but given the fact that they all involve yours truly I think I'll keep them to myself, at least for now. Speaking of sharing too much information, there are some folks who use Facebook and they seem to be running their own reality show as they document their every movement throughout the day. I know. It's a free country and all of that but do we really need to know or see a photo of every little mundane detail that makes up their day? To each his own I suppose. Now I did dearly love all the back to school photos on the first day of school. How neat is that? Sharing those photos reflects the enjoyment that this social media tool can bring. Speaking of that reality show concept, I had better get back to the one that is already in progress, you know, the life and times of yours truly. Go out there and have yourself a most wonderful Thursday and don't forget to remember to thank God for His provisions! Amen.       .....More later.

No comments: