Thursday, September 20, 2012

Lincoln supposedly said if he was two faced, he certainly wouldn't have worn the one seen in his portraits.

Hello out there in the world of virtual connectivity and curiosity. Curious. I'll be the first to add that to my list of descriptors about myself. It's Thursday and I am so glad to catch up with you again where, not surprisingly, you find me hoping on this September 20, 2012 that these slightly cooler temperatures speak to even cooler air on its way. I think we are all aware of how easy it is to be hypocritical. It's an insidious affliction but one that every person battles. Believe me, I did my share of telling my boys when they were growing up how they should do as I say, not necessarily as they saw me doing. And, it is alive and well today. I know this proclivity is inherited. It comes with the common denominator we all share, being human and being sinners. It's interesting that we see it so clearly in others but often can't detect even a hint of how it plays out in our own life. I can tell you this. We, who are believers, need to see this as a major detriment in our testimony to others, and we need to struggle against it. God would have us to work on it and we can only do that if we recognize it as an ever present issue. If you don't, you actually can end up being hypocritical about not being hypocritical. You know. The double whammy and all of that.

I wonder what made me think of that. I must have passed a mirror. Know what I mean? I think you do. What's that you say? Yeah, me too. My list is already crowded with all the stuff I need to work on. Speaking of lists, I read a posting on Facebook where a person had been able to mark off another item on their Bucket List. That's from the book and movie about a list of things a person wants to experience or accomplish before they die. If I have one, it is only in my mind. On the other hand, I do look forward to that day when the list of stuff that I continue to have to work on will be a thing of the past. The Apostle Paul said he had a real conflict. Going home or staying here. Being with Jesus or continuing the struggle here. He said it was a slam dunk when it came to the desire of his heart. (Don't write me. I know he didn't use the words slam dunk but saying it that way was only a very, very loose representation of the sentiment expressed, as interpreted and paraphrased by yours truly.) Of course it would be better to be with Jesus. However, he concluded that God had things for him to yet accomplish while he was here in this life. You can read about it in the first chapter of the letter Paul wrote to the Philippians. Therefore, we are to keep on keeping on, including the struggle, with God's help, to do better in those areas where we need improvement. I must have fallen into a house of mirrors.

The good news is how that God is always there to help us, and, we have that cloud of witnesses that surround us, those who went before us, and those who are coming along side of us today and encouraging and cheering us on. I overreacted to the first day prediction of cooler weather. On Wednesday morning I wore a long sleeve shirt in anticipation of 50's and the real wave slowed down and I showed up, all dressed up, like I was ready for opening day of deer season, but it was 69 degrees. All I needed was an orange vest. I know I went to school in Louisiana and our state was never known for great education, however, those hyping 50's when high 60's show up, well, they do have some splaining to do. Don't hold your breath. On the other hand, weather forecasting hype or not, it did more or less, mostly less, finally get here and I am happy to say I am enjoying it (59 degrees as I finish today's edition.) Sitting here sipping on some Community and listening to some mournful bagpipe tunes tends to make this life a little more understandable. Really? Well, maybe not, but it will do for now. Have a great day and may God bless each one. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: