Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Looking for a breath of cooler air.

Welcome back from your holiday. It's good to see you this morning as we continue our search for some fall weather, on this, Tuesday, September 4, 2012. Fall weather? Yeah, I know. This is Texas and we are likely not even beginning to be finished with the heavy duty hot yet. (Expected indexes of over 100 today!) But we can dream. That's right. You guessed it. I have been looking at that temperature map each day and I am glad to report there are still some mid forties, (even one 43, yum yum), being registered overnight in some isolated places in the lower 48. That's not exactly the stuff that blizzards are made of, but it's certainly a huge bunch cooler than it is in these parts. I think from time to time my dreaming gets connected into how low I set the window unit here in our shared office. I heard one fellow say that he had thought about bringing a parka from home to wear to help accommodate my need for cold. He is very much exaggerating folks. Maybe a medium jacket but there's no need for any Eskimo gear here. In fact, it's more of a joke because I do want you to know that I try to do my part in keeping the temperature in a moderate position. I do show respect and I do so because I know their fingers need to work on their keyboards. It's just a little joke, don't get all riled, however, I think I did hear one of them asking if anyone had some hot chocolate. Now, tell me, how funny is that?

Yes. I know. I have written about the blogger up there somewhere in those cooler regions that has likely put out the same type of nonsense about wishing for some warmer temps. Knowing human nature, it's easy to see how a change of venue could have the opposite effect on almost anyone. Including me? Perhaps. At my age I most likely could not handle the colder air like I did as a younger whipper snapper. I had a wonderful teacher. My grandfather. He would not allow me to be cold. It was not something we could do much about on the deer stand with below freezing winds whipping around, therefore, his approach was to think about something else. You know. Mind over matter and all of that. He didn't call it that but he did tell me that I would only be as cold as I allowed myself to dwell on it. Please don't send me some analysis that explains how this might have contributed to my recurring lack of mental clarity. It's a little late for that and the way I see it, I suppose it's better to be longing for the cooler air than to be searching for a sweater in the summertime. Or, something like that.

I mentioned my brother's birthday yesterday. Our Granny Mac's would have been tomorrow. She and my brother always had these close together birthdays. His often landed on Labor Day and we could easily get them confused. Granny was a remarkable influence on several generations. Because of circumstances beyond our control and theirs, she and my grandfather ended up helping to shape our lives. Granny was not perfect and she could get steamed, but, she did love the Lord and always pointed us towards Him. That was a consistent message from them and from my mom. No matter what. Stay in touch with God and He would make a way for you. They didn't have an easy time of it in their lives and they didn't project that our destiny would be carefree either. What they did do was to both say and show us that we can always count on the Lord. Always. And, I thank God for their influence and of course my mom's still at it today. Now that's what you call being blessed even though I'll share a little secret with you. I did have a cold thought or two on that deer stand. Amen.      .....More later.

No comments: