Wednesday, July 31, 2019

“When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I cannot remember any but the things that never happened. It is sad to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.” ― Mark Twain

Thanks so much for showing up today. It is Wednesday, the last day of the month, July 31, 2019. Time, it does seem to be moving on down the road. Of course, I only have my observations and my personal experience to fall back on, but, nearly every day I can see the tale-tale signs of the wear and tear process doing its thing. I actually think it's supposed to work that way. I really notice it in other people and up until the past few years I didn't see myself in the way I saw others. Oh well, as they say, getting older is certainly not for wimps. The wife and I were talking this week about how we used to mow our yard pretty much front and back without stopping. Not any more. When I said something to my doctor about this he signed me up for all the checks to make sure my lungs and heart are functioning okay, but, he did mention that I may need more breaks because of my age. Well, how do you like that? Since the checks came back normal, for my age, I suppose I just need to go until I feel fatigued and then stop and sit for a little while. It's not that I need to be somewhere else, it's more the idea of needing to take a break. Frustrating. Not complaining. Just 'splaining', as they say in today's vernacular. I must always add how thankful I am to be able to do what I am able to do. I am around many folks in my age range that would love to even think about mowing their grass again. I am aging, but, God is still God, and as always, He is good. Amen.

There are times when I just have to take a time out to wonder about myself. These are times that I typically do things that really demonstrate my missing a step or two. If I do something and the wife is with me, we can share a good laugh together. But, if she only knew the stuff I get myself into sometimes. The good news? I can keep those as my little secrets and laugh about them privately. That is until I forget them which also happens more frequently these days. I had one the other day and if she knew about it, here's what she would say, "I sure am glad that wasn't me because I would likely never hear the end of it." See what I mean? Some things are best allowed to expire as they reach their own statute of limitations. Might as well laugh about it. If that gives you trouble, maybe these little jokes will help: ~ Whatever you may look like, marry someone your own age, that way when your looks begin to fade, so will his eyesight. Phyllis Diller ~ You know you are really old when you get the cake and it has the one candle on it. It is as if they are saying, "Okay, see if you can blow it out." Jerry Seinfield ~ You can't help getting older but you don't have to get old. George Burns, (he lived to be 100)  ~ By the time a man is wise enough to watch his step he is too old to go anywhere. Billy Crystal ~

The other evening the wife and I went together to visit new move-ins for our local Church. We had a good group of folks who showed up to go out and invite people to visit our services. Sometimes, if we are not careful, we can come up with lots of reasons why maybe we are not the ones who should be doing this. Maybe the younger folks could do a better job. As I looked around that gathering area, I was impressed by how many there were considerably older than us. Considerably. I'm talking 80's and even some 90's. That will help answer any excuses we youngsters, in our early 70's, might have. She and I make a good team, but, it is interesting to see us using the GPS mapping on our phones to navigate our journey into areas unfamiliar to us. We had seven visits to make. We were able to locate six out of the seven. Three were not home, but, we left a gift bag with information about our local congregation. The other three, we did get to make contact with mostly younger people, in their 30's. We found them to be cordial. One family already was attending a Church in the area. Another lady said they did attend a good local Church but not very often. The last one was a young couple. He was a mortgage broker and she was in finance. They don't attend anywhere. They might come. That would be great. I do know one thing. If they do come, they will hear the truth from God's Word. That's what really will make a difference in anyone's life. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: