Tuesday, July 23, 2019

“If absence makes the heart grow fonder,” said a minister, “a lot of folks must really love our church.” ~ copied

We were watching when the Eagle landed back in 1969. We wanted to make sure our eldest, Chris, was able to see that important event. He was 3-1/2 years old and our Jimmy was one. (Our Chris did go on to become fascinated with all things pertaining to Sci-Fi and especially Space Travel.) I've watched maybe a dozen or more of the special TV programs remembering that event. I heard one commentator say that many in the world had never seen a live TV broadcast, but, arrangements were made for people to see this broadcast even in far-flung places. Imagine seeing your first live TV program and it was a broadcast of the first man landing on the moon. I'm sure that made an impact. Today is Tuesday, July 23, 2019, and I actually have another landing in mind for today. It will be when the Escape makes its way into our garage and the commander of that vehicle, The Wife, makes her exit and returns to her home base. Some may flinch at my comparison of the Eagle to the Escape, but, one was important to the world while the other is most important to my world. Think about it like this. We are a two-person team. To function as we should we need to have the entire team on the field. I've been playing one person short for the last 8 days and while I am happy she was able to go and minister to those in upstate New York, I will be glad to have her back so that we can get things back into sync. That's right. The last few days have been mostly out of sync. How does that show up? Good question. Discombobulated. Flabbergasted. Things have been cattywampus. Too much malarkey. Daily shenanigans, etc., etc.

I haven't picked on the weather folks lately. The other evening I heard one of them on TV say something that hit me wrong. The station he is on promotes his Ph.D. as being a great advantage over the competing stations. Here's my recollection of what he said, "The hoped-for cool front coming in next week, well, it seems the projection models cannot agree on the impact to our area." Do what? I could look at the models and tell whether they agree or not. Why doesn't the Ph.D. have his own projection? I heard about a fellow over in Louisiana who, according to many of those in his area, is terrible in his weather forecasts. I can't remember his name, but, I heard people had given him a nickname that rhymed with his name but it indicated his failure to make correct forecasts. This was recently brought back up because of the storm named Barry. One last thing pertaining to Barry. Those so-called spaghetti models trying to predict Barry's tract were, literally, all over the page. Many of the local weather people joked about the European model. Turns out, when it was all said and done, the European model was the most accurate. See what I mean?

The other evening I was flipping through the channels and I noticed something. On the primary ESPN sports channel, they were running a show of people playing video games. Not sports video games but war games and stuff like that. Really? On another of their channels, they were showing the Cornhole competitions. Really? If they had been showing the hotdog eating contest, I suppose this would have proven we have come full circle, we would have arrived. Who knows? They may soon add dwarf throwing, finger wrestling, and haggis hurling. I know they have multiple channels running 24 hours per day along with several other competing fulltime sports networks. That is a lot of time to fill. But, to me, the question has to be whether those are real sports. I will grant they are competitions, but, sport? I'm not so sure. You might see it differently. Go ahead. I will be busy this morning getting everything back in shape for the return of the Lady of the House. I would be glad to have some competitors alongside to see how quickly we could finish. That would be a good one. Men doing housework competition. Enjoy the rest of your day and let's all take time to be thankful for all that God has done, is doing, and will do as we continue our journey. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: