Monday, July 15, 2019

“One hundred religious persons knit into a unity by careful organization do not constitute a church any more than eleven dead men make a football team. The first requisite is life, always.“- A. W. Tozer

I know everyone laughed at the country song, "Thank God and Greyhound She's Gone". I don't feel that way at all as The Wife, Help-Mete for 54.5 years, and a whole lot of The Glue that keeps everything together is making another mission trip and will be gone 8 days. Me too. I get it. You also thought the Home Alone movie and the Left Behind series of books were about my life's story. Okay. Don't write to me. I'm just having a little fun at my own expense on this Monday, July 15, 2019. I know I am blessed to have her as my wife. We fellowship with and are close to many who have lost their mates. We see all the time the void in their lives. That makes me even more thankful for every day God grants to us as husband and wife. She will again be with the mission team from her sister's Church, East Leesville Baptist, as they go to try and help invigorate the work and ministry of a local fellowship in upstate New York. I don't know if you have noticed it or not, but, folks fully participating in local Church ministry is seriously in decline. Gallup released its survey regarding Church membership this past April. Membership peaked in 1948 at 76% of our American population. This most recent count showed it has slipped to 50% and trending downward. I know what many will say. Churches only have themselves to blame. There's truth in that statement with all the scandals and other shenanigans over the years. However, it could well be that we within the local Churches of America have lost our moorings where we no longer fully embrace our purpose as clearly spelled out in The Scriptures, "And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, 'All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen.'" (Matthew 28: 18-20) Something we all should think about. Amen.

Some have indicated she should qualify as going on a foreign missions trip since they see New York State in this way. While that is perhaps a joke, there are regions in our nation where ministry is very difficult. Difficult for us, but, not for God. We need always remember that we carry the message of hope but we are never responsible for the outcomes. God Himself takes truth shared and He is the one who draws folks unto Himself. God the Holy Spirit moves on the hearts of men, women, boys, and girls, as truth is shared. They then reject Him when they refuse His offer of salvation. The old missionary saying applies, "You can never take the Gospel to the wrong address." The good news for us all is how God has raised up men who are praying for and preaching for a God sent revival for our local assemblies and for our nation. We have that kind of man in our pulpit, Dr. Jerry Chaddick. Some have responded to his burden for revival by criticizing his evangelistic fervor, his direct preaching, and his heart for the people in our community. Did you actually read what I just wrote? Some within a congregation within a family identified as a Baptist Church accusing the pastor of being too focused on reaching men, women, boys, and girls for Christ. Sure, I am often stung with conviction as the word of God penetrates my heart. Like I say, we've come a long way, but, have we come in the right direction? Arriving at the place where we mostly play Church is certainly not what our Great God had in mind. Amen.

I know some think my blogs can, at times, become very 'preachy'. If you knew me like I know me, you would be very clear on who needs to be preached to the most. Yep. That's right. Just like the old song, "It's me, it's me, it's me, Oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer." Today's admonitions to take seriously the heart of our Savior's mission to the lost is, for me, like writing it in a mirror, with myself being the recipient. At least I didn't ask for a love offering. I didn't offer an autographed photo of Jesus as an incentive. And, I didn't say for you to not send me one thin dine, just enclose $1 to cover the weight of the postal money order. I believe those are part of a routine I heard on a vinyl record by Dave Gardner, a Southern-style comedian. But, that was a very long time ago. I do hope we all will take time to thank God for another second day of the week, Monday, and with His help, we will make the most of it. Even if we have to do it, all alone. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: