Thursday, August 1, 2019

“Let me assure you doubters―there really is a Santa Claus. I learned from working on this book that you don't need to go to the North Pole to find him. It's only necessary to look into your own heart.” ― Jeff Guinn, The Autobiography of Santa Claus

Well, it looks like this must be the place, therefore, I bid you a hearty hello on this Thursday, August 1, 2019. We just completed the two summer Santa events and I already have 14 more on the upcoming fall schedule. We haven't really even gotten started good. I began this adventure back in 2009, therefore, this year will mark my 10th year of portraying the jolly old elf. I thought a picture might help indicate this passage of time. The first one shows our middle son Jimmy's clan back in my first year. The second is a more recent photo of them as they have grown over the years. The wife has always been a huge supporter of this effort. She didn't become Mrs. Claus until the second or third season, but, she has always been my helper along the way. I will admit it, and she knows it. I really don't like doing events without her. I do some as a solo act, but, I really prefer those where we can work together. Perhaps it's the fact that I need all the help I can get. And, she helps to keep me jolly. That is a very important part of showing up as Santa Claus.

My helper with me back in 2009.
It's interesting to have folks come up to you and tell you that I am the only Santa their little one has ever made photos with. Their little one is not so little anymore. That's true because we have always been blessed with repeat events, the same ones each year. The other day when we did the summer Christmas in July events, several posted on the Chic-fil-A Facebook page how much they hated they were out of town since we are their all-time favorites. One of the young lady workers at Chic-fil-A came over for a photo. I immediately recognized her. She is the daughter of one of the longtime managers. I said to her, "Girl, how many photos do you think you have made with me over the years?" She smiled and said, "I think it's about 8 of them." See what I mean? She was a little girl and now she's a busy worker. Again and again, I can't help myself: Is this a great country or what?

Some may tire of hearing my 'Santa' related stories, but, I can't apologize because they have become a huge part of our lives. I will be working on some promotional shots coming up the third week in August. We had planned on being away that week but we can easily adjust our schedule. The lady I will be working with is one of this area's top professional photographers. This will be my 8th year to work with her and her staff. They typically do multiple shots where we move from set to set, therefore, I will be working with some model kids to get the routine down. And, there you were, thinking this was nothing more than a throwdown easy job. I do get that quite often. I always tell anyone to suit up and show up and then tell me what they think. We hope to do even more charity events this year. While the pay is good for the professional work we do, we love doing those where we volunteer our time to bring joy to kids, literally, of all ages.

Okay. That should be enough stuff for one day. In passing, I did, I really did, try to watch some of the Democratic debates this week. Are you kidding me? This is all they have? And, I refer you to my recent commentary where I talked about them mostly trying to out left each other. Yep. That's what I saw. When I hear folks fawning over any of these candidates, I have to ask myself if they are seeing the same thing I am seeing. But, that's because we all have our own perspective, our own viewfinder, through which we filter and understand what we are seeing. That, I suppose, is why, in America, we are entitled to support the party and the programs that resonate with us. You have my assessment. Go get your own. It is important to have one. It really is. Enjoy, and, as always, let's be thankful to God for all He has done, is doing, and will do! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: