Monday, July 29, 2019

"The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear." ~ quote from the movie 'Elf'

Good morning and welcome back. It is Monday, July 29, 2019, and I am in the process of taking a deep breath as I get back on my regular routine. We have been on the run. Maybe when we were younger that was not a problem, but, alas, as the old song puts it, "time has made a change in me." We were privileged to make many photos last Thursday and Friday evenings at the Family Night, Christmas in July celebration at two different Chick-fil-A locations. On Saturday, I helped conduct a memorial service for a dear lady from our apartment ministry. Saturday evening we met our eldest and his bride to celebrate her birthday. They recently celebrated their 33rd wedding anniversary, and, we were so glad to be a part of honoring our daughter-in-law, Sherrie, on her special day. On Sunday, Church, including outreach Sunday night. Meanwhile, the wife has been a primary care provider for our granddaughter who is recovering from surgery. She has had a rough go of it. She's had to go back to the doctor twice and on Friday she spent nearly all day at the emergency room. Like I say, that's a busy schedule for our bones. At the end of it all, we can only give thanks and praise to the Lord for giving us the strength to do what we are able to do. He and He alone deserves the credit for providing for us. Amen and Amen.

Do we have a great job, or what?
This was our first time to portray a summer version of the jolly old dude and his lovely wife. All these years later, I look at that newest photo and see her and I can 100% understand how I have been totally smitten for this good long run. We did learn a few things. Kids love Christmas. Even in July. Those who are skittish about Santa, well, it's not just the big suit. Several were that way with Summer Santa. I mentioned before, we were once again reminded of what it's like to work with some of the finest people on the planet, that being the Chick-fil-A staff. This was not new for us, but, how refreshing to see people serving others with a smile and with heart. They told us they want to make this an annual event. We told them we would love to do it if we are able. At our age, we have learned it is best to add a sincere Lord willing to plans that far in advance. The lady from our apartment ministry was one of the younger ones there. She had been ailing for a few weeks, but, we were all stunned to receive the news of her passing. See what I mean? We never know. The good news? God knows and He can be trusted. Amen.

I also learned something really big. Summer Santa never got tired. Obviously, during the fall campaign, carrying around the big suit and handling kids is where the wear and tear take its toll. Occupational hazard. Summer Santa never even got winded. When we finished, I did pause a little getting up. Sitting there for two hours made my bones stiffen up a little. It was noticed. And, I was offered some help to get up. Hello? You talking to me? Now, wait just a cotton-picking minute! That caused me to go into surge mode and I got up and acted like I was ready to run around the block a time or two. Acted. Here again, it's just part of our today, and, I'm okay with that. That is until someone asks if I need help getting up. That too is likely a coming attraction, but, not on Summer Santa's watch, this time. Not yet. I am just joking around because when it comes down to it, me, you, all of us, have to do the best we can with our own personal situation. Hopefully, we will find ourselves giving God thanks for His provision. Have a great rest of today, Monday, and I, Lord willing, will do my best to see you next time here at my little plot of ground in Bloggerville. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: