Tuesday, February 12, 2019

“The problem is politics is made a sport, almost as much a sport as football or baseball. When it comes to politics, adults and politicians do more finger-pointing and play more games than children ever do. Too often are we rooting for the pride of a team rather than the good of the nation.” ― Criss Jami

Welcome one and all. It is Tuesday, February 12, 2019. I have at least one more comment from the State of the Union Speech last week. Those Congress ladies all dressed in white were interesting. They were dressed like that to call attention to the Sufferettes, the women who fought for and gained the right for women to vote. It was also supposed to reflect the strong, independent, self-sufficient, voice of these elected women officials. I get what they said they were doing. If that is true, why then was it they were very confused about when it was okay or not okay to applaud or even stand? They had to get a signal from some of their leadership. So much for the independent speak-for-myself-women, right out the window at the get-go. One of them was interviewed after the President's speech. She, of course, said everything he said was lies. The reporter asked about the time he spoke of how women have faired during his two years with gaining numbers in multiple categories. The women in white all stood, cheered, and carried on. The President expressed appreciation for their response and thanked them. The reporter asked if the lady congress person thought the President was having some fun and playing with them. She was incensed and adamant. The President was not in control at that time, the ladies in white were playing him, not the other way round. Now that was a good one. I saw the same thing she did. Wow! It sure looked like the President was having some fun with the ladies in white. That is, to me.

We all know that times have changed and we are now supposedly living in a more enlightened age. Really? I was raised entirely based on the right side of this comparison chart. My mom was relentless. She was going to see to it that we acted right, or else! I'm fairly sure her parenting skills would be thought of as abusive by today's smart people. I actually thought it was very abusive when I was on the other end of a plum tree switch, (it felt more like a limb). Of course, we didn't know the word abusive back then because most parents that loved their kids wanted them to become productive, law-abiding citizens, therefore, the right side of the chart was pretty much the norm. Here's something I think that is missed when people talk about these differences in today's world versus back then: I never once in my life, as a kid, as a teenager, or as an adult, questioned or even considered whether my mom loved me or not. I knew she did. Her life was one that spelled out the word S-A-C-R-I-F-I-C-E on behalf of her family. She loved me. Before and after the tongue lashings. Before and after the whippings. I can remember a few rare exceptions with friends of mine growing up who did get a version of the left side of the chart. They were spoiled brats. Their lives were a mess as kids and later as adults. We joke how we survived the right side but many of those who got the left side did not. Just saying and just sharing.

I know. That was the old days. And, we are often inclined to call them the good old days, however, we are where we are now and we must deal with today's world regardless of how we got here and how things have changed. What can be done to turn things around? My own personal thoughts are that because of where we are at this time, it will take God's intervention to have the positive impact that is needed. That almost sounds like a cliche or throw down answer. However, it is the moving away from Godly principles that have most precipitated the crisis we face today. It is a crisis of conscience and caring. Today's so-called lost generation(s) can be found and they can be restored. And, as for where they are today, I do not deny the responsibility of their parents and grandparents which includes yours truly. Rather than curse the darkness, we can best help by being who God would have us to be each and every day. And, in seeking Him and His power to help right this situation. We can't turn it around but we do know the One who can. That's what I have for you today and Bentley must agree because I can hear him snoring in my lap. May God bless our children is my prayer. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: