Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Dr. John Dolittle: "You know how to do CPR?" Rat #2: "CPR? I can't even spell it!" from the movie starring Eddie Murphy, "Dr. Doolittle"

We meet again. This time it's via the wonderful world of invisible connectivity here in a land called the Blogosphere. Today's meeting convenes on Wednesday, February 13, 2019. I am glad to bring you greetings from The Home Office where I have assumed my normal position at the old keyboard, just me and Bentley, where I click and clack and he naps. I would put him down on the floor but at this stage in his life he will locate and chew things you didn't even remember you had. I have a small A/C unit that has been mounted on the back wall of my office. That wall faces a double wooded lot. We do just fine until a squirrel decides to make a stop on top of the unit. From out of nowhere. Startled. That gets our attention. Both Bentley and I look up at the unit as if we could get a glimpse of the intruder. They typically don't hang around long because they are most likely on their way to work. And, their job is usually up in the trees. The birds can make a racket as well and often they come in pairs, but, they too are not there long. Bentley looks at me like maybe I should be doing something about these unplanned intrusions. Who does he think I am? Dr. Doolittle?

When we say it is a small world we typically refer to finding out by chance that someone knows someone you know or that you have known in the past. We were at a luncheon last week where many of our Sunday Bible Study class members had gathered. A lady mentioned her dad had pastored the First Baptist Church in Florien, Louisiana when she was a youngster. Florien is only 9 miles north of Hornbeck where I spent most of my growing up years. We got to talking. She didn't live there that long but she was in the 3rd grade with a fellow that I knew very well. Back then. In fact, that boy's family came to Hornbeck for services as they were members of the same church as I. I had visited in their home. I had ridden their horses. The boy's sisters were my sisters' close friends. Their dad didn't attend Church but he did attend to me when I was about twelve and I had split my head open diving into a swimming hole. Their house was the closest so they carried me there. Mr. Davis didn't waste any time. He went and fetched a bottle of Iodine and put my head between his legs. I soon found out why he did that. The cut was about 2 inches but it went all the way to my skull. When the Iodine filled up the hole in my head, well, let the kicking and screaming begin. My mom had to leave work out at Fort Polk and she carried me to the hospital where the same Dr. who delivered me, Dr. Fraiser, sewed up my head. He told my mom not to worry about infection because the wound had been thoroughly fried in Iodine. The lady said she thought my buddy was really cute in the third grade. That little conversation gave me another opportunity to say, it really is a small world, after all. Maybe someone should write a song about that.

My wife loves to watch shows on the Gameshow network. There is a fairly new one, 'America Says', that she really likes. The premise is for the competing panels to correctly identify the top answers given on a fill in the blank opinion poll regarding a specific question or subject. I watch the show with her when I am taking a break from my new position in life, 'Doing mostly nothing at all'. I know what some of you are thinking, that's a good job if you can get it. Not so fast, Buckaroo! At any rate, the competing teams are made up of four individuals who have something in common. Four ladies that play golf together. Four guys that coach little league together. Things like that. The other afternoon we saw an episode and one of the teams was made up of real bearded Santa Clauses. (It had originally aired on December 24, 2018) They were professional Santas who were members of a group, the Fraternal Order of Real Bearded Santas. I had never heard of that group. They were dressed in Santa-related civilian attire but all of them were featuring their real white beards. They were not that good at guessing the answers and didn't advance to the big money round, however, they spoke about the charities they supported and other good deeds their group pursues. Isn't it interesting how seeing them on the panel got my attention? I was pulling for them, although, they answered Rudolph a time or two just because the answer started with an R. That didn't look so good, but, I did enjoy that particular episode. They did justice to the wearing of the red. Take care and enjoy the rest of your day. May God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: