Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Why do we put athletes on a pedestal?

Good morning and welcome. Today is being celebrated as Wednesday, October 9, 2018. Let's all get out there and make the best of it. Amen. I saw where Drew Brees broke the all-time passing yards record in the NFL. Good for him. I didn't see it or any other NFL game since this is our second year to just say no to watching. As the New Orleans Saints quarterback, the folks over in Louisiana are ecstatic about this monumental record. He, by the way, is not from Louisiana. He lives there. He has become an institution of sorts, but, it reminds me of how we tend to adopt professional celebrity athletes as our very own. I follow certain NASCAR drivers. I've never met them. I keep up with them. I am a fan. Back when Jeff Gordon was still actively racing, many people knew that I was a fan of his. They would ask how 'my boy' was doing. In other sports, everything is lovely until the favorite son or daughter is traded to another team. Suddenly, they are no longer the darling. They have joined ranks with an enemy force. I'm just making the observation how funny we are as people, yours truly at the front of the line. Take the Astros. With them winning, folks are crazy to identify with them and often they talk about them individually and their accomplishments like they are a part of their close family. The biggest part of all of this? It sells. Tickets. Merchandise. Mucho! Does anyone know what I did with my Jeff Gordon t-shirt? I'm almost certain it would be too small for me nowadays. Oh well, we continue the journey.

I'm back at work after being off on Tuesday. However, I don't think they will have to retrain me. I did get my lab results from my recent doctor's visit. For the most part, my diabetes is well controlled. There is always a 'however' stuck in there. For me, this typically relates to diet, weight, and exercise. I also received a good report from my eye doctor. With that in hand, I could be patting myself on the back but I know where any and all blessings come from. ABOVE! Therefore, I give God thanks and the glory for the life, the health, and the journey He has given to me. I've said it before and I think we all know about it. If you are feeling down, go sit in the waiting room at any doctor's office. There you will find folks dealing with great challenges. Even at the eye doctor, I saw some people that my heart went out to. One lady was not totally blind but was having to be led by and helped along by a daughter. I'm not saying we look at others worse than ourselves to make us feel better. I am saying that if God gives you the health and strength to carry on, well, He should be thanked for that, and we should not take it for granted. Amen.

We had a big thunder and rain storm last night. Our satellite dish doesn't do well in stormy weather. Come to think about it, it doesn't do well at times for reasons we cannot begin to understand. The end result is what is referred to as a lost signal. This makes keeping up with the TV program somewhat problematic. It can be aggravating but while we might be slightly bothered by it, we don't obsess over it. If that show is that important, which it usually isn't, it can be watched online, or, it will eventually be shown again. The wife and I typically take advantage of these unscheduled interruptions to work on our napping skills. Not that they need a lot of work. When the dish has a problem I typically hear different ideas about why it is out. Trees, a line of sight distortion, wrong placement, and others. Oh well, even in our advanced world where we put a man on the moon, (more than one), we still have issues maintaining communications between a terrestrial link and a celestial electronic box floating around in space. I'm not sure that makes any sense or that I understand it, but, it does at least take a stab at what we typically experience. Life moves on. Take care. Now. You hear? And, may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: