Friday, October 12, 2018

"It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live." ~ Marcus Aurelius

If you are able to read this today you are blessed. That's right. Just under 152,000 folks pass from this life on planet earth into eternity each and every day. Now that you are aware of that sobering bit of knowledge, let's all see what we can make out of today, Friday, October 12, 2018. I think it's also appropriate to say if you can read this today, thank the person who taught you how to read, and typically that would be a teacher. We have had a busy time of it of late, but, much of it has involved serving the Lord by serving others. I heard an old preacher the other day talking about these secret disciples. Those who have trusted Christ but they keep it to themselves. He thought that was dangerous because faith typically cannot be hidden. It will show up in how one lives. The kids' song comes to mind, "If you're saved and you know it then your life will surely show it." Amen.

Here's a flashback from October of 2007. "Many of us see heaven as an escape route as opposed to a homecoming. The more we look forward to seeing our Savior it is the more we should realize the importance of making the life He’s given to us here count for time and eternity. Just last week when I went to the doctor I could not believe the traffic. I left in plenty of time to get there early but I ended up barely being on time because I had to wait two or three light changes for each traffic signal for what seemed like an eternity. The doctor told me my blood pressure was up. I told him if he had been riding with me his would have been up also. I told him I had checked my blood pressure earlier and it was fine but the traffic and me nearly being late had caused it to go up. He laughed and said that he treated traffic people not folks who have quiet, sedate lives. So why do I get so uptight about being close on time? I honestly don’t know exactly why but I can hardly tolerate the thought of being late. I know other people who are consistently either right on the exact time or a little late and they never show any signs whatsoever about it bothering them. NOT ME! I like to be at least thirty minutes early to just about any type of appointment I have. I plan around that concept. I check and double check to make sure I will be on time. To me, it’s a respect issue. Then when traffic fails to cooperate, what happens? My blood pressure goes up and I am no longer focused on being the kind of person God wants me to be. Why? I end up being agitated and out of sorts over something I had no control over. Next time I will leave even earlier but that’s no guarantee I will make it on time because there may be an accident or I may have a flat tire. It could be anything. What we all need to do and especially me is to take a deep breath and realize that once we have done what we can do to the best of our ability, then we should not become distressed when things don’t work out. In fact, not working out the way we want it to may put us in a position of opportunity to help someone else or to learn something we need to learn. Seeing everything in life as potentials for ministry is much better than doing the slow burn inside that causes the doctor to raise his eyebrows. We are all put together differently. I don’t really know where I got this punctuality thing but it is part of who I am. The challenge is to see it all within the big picture of God’s sovereign control over all things. And, I could use some help in being more understanding towards those who seem never to make it to anything on time. Yeah, I’m just passing through, but still having to learn lessons each and every day. Here’s hoping that you don’t have one of those blood pressure raising commutes in your journeys today!"

That flashback was another long-winded tome that is likely too much, however, it does make a point that most of us can identify with. I could have edited it and probably reduced it by 50% but then it would not be a real flashback. Having shared that, it is time for me to do a wrap for this week by saying, thanks for tuning in. Don't forget. I am typically at this same station and same place on your internet dial Monday through Friday. Until next time, I do hope you enjoy your Saturday and that Lord's Day Sunday will find us all seeking God along with other believers at the meeting place. May God bless and keep each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: