Thursday, October 18, 2018

'The Seven Social Sins are: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle." ~ From a sermon given by Frederick Lewis Donaldson in Westminster Abbey, London, on March 20, 1925.”

Time. It waits for no one. And, today is no exception. Let's see what we can get done on this Thursday, October 18, 2018. I'm not nearly as committed to that as one might think. But, it is a good way to get the day started and we all do need encouragement. The lyrics to a song often come to mind. ~ If I can help somebody, as I travel along If I can help somebody, with a word or song If I can help somebody, from doing wrong No, my living shall not be in vain ~  Our faith is a personal matter. Between us and God. However, the proving of our faith. The demonstration that we have faith. It is shown in our living. How we live. How we treat others. Our way of living becomes our testimony. Not so much what we say, but, what we do. I saw a meme the other day that caught my attention. It said our character is who we really are. Our reputation is only what others think we are. Another similar sentiment defines character as what we do when no one is looking. Of course, we know that God is always aware. Always. That's why I am so thankful for His mercy. The Psalmist David was given this insight, "As a father pities his children, So the Lord pities those who fear Him. For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust." (Psalm 103:13-14) Maybe we didn't do so well yesterday, but, we can get ourselves up and make another run at it today. Amen.

My point? Don't get down and out when you struggle. We all struggle. In fact, as an old preacher friend of mine used to say, "When it comes down to it we are all fellow-strugglers." This comes with the condition we have. The human condition. And, yet, there is a way forward. When the Apostle Paul talked about being able to keep on keeping on, he did so because of the power of Christ living in and through him. ~ "But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:10-13) ~ I've always found it interesting in how this passage is handled. Often, it almost seems like only the positives are emphasized. However, that's not what Paul was inspired to communicate. He talks about the strength of Christ giving him contentment when he was in need, down and out, without daily provisions. In other words, handling life, whether in the ups and downs, the mountain tops and the valleys, the good times, the bad, and everything in-between, we can have victory with the power of Christ living in us. Now that, my friend, is an encouragement, and it comes from above. Amen.

The other morning I rolled out of bed a little after 3 a.m. I may have groaned a little since the bones are typically acting up around that time. Suddenly, I heard a sweet voice wafting on the rolling tide from the other side of the bed, "Just think, in a couple of weeks you will no longer have to worry about getting up so early." I wasn't thinking about that at the time, but, if things go according to plan, she is 100% correct. It may have also been some wishful thinking on her part since she typically likes to sleep a little later than yours truly. The aches and pains that come with the territory are not the only wake-up call that beckons me. The thought of my first cup of hot, black, Community Coffee is a factor. I cannot deny it. I usually have my first cup while driving the ole pickup into work. I like my coffee piping hot even though it does present some issues from time to time when I encounter a new pothole. Sloshing. Let me be honest here. When something like that happens I typically am not overflowing with joy. And, the fact that it nearly takes the hide right off of my hand doesn't help too much either. I know what some of you are thinking. Get a cup with a lid on it. That does make a lot of sense. However, I like my cups. The ones I use. And, if I have to spill a little now and then so be it. What about stains on my seats? Yeah. That would be on the list somewhere if I had a list. You are right. Another reason for you to be glad you are not me. See? I've helped someone already today! Take care. See you next time. And, may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: