Monday, October 29, 2018

"When the English language gets in my way, I walk over it." ~ Billy Sunday, Evangelist

Good morning and it sounds good to call it one last time, back-to-work Monday, on this October 29, 2018. I saw this listing on Facebook talking about why English can be so difficult to learn. Some examples were given: ~ The bandage was wound around the wound. ~ The farm was used to produce produce. ~ The dump was so full it had to refuse more refuse. ~ We must polish the Polish furniture. ~ He could lead if he would get the lead out. ~ Since there's no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present. ~ A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum. ~ When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes. ~ I did not object to the object. ~ The insurance was invalid for the invalid. ~ There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row. ~ They were too close to the door to close it. ~ Here are some funny quotes about English being difficult: "Our language is funny – a ‘fat chance’ and a ‘slim chance’ are the same thing." J. Gustav White ~ "If the English language made any sense, lackadaisical would have something to do with a shortage of flowers." ~ Doug Larson ~ "“If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur." Doug Larson ~ "Why do we have noses that run and feet that smell?" Author Unknown ~ "English is a funny language; that explains why we park our car on the driveway and drive our car on the parkway." Author Unknown ~ "The word ‘good’ has many meanings.  For example, if a man were to shoot his grandmother at a range of five hundred yards, I should call him a good shot, but not necessarily a good man." G. K. Chesterton ~ "Lymph, v.:  to walk with a lisp." Washington Post reader ~ "I like the word ‘indolence.’ It makes my laziness seem classy." Bern Williams ~ "The two most beautiful words in the English language are ‘check enclosed.'" Dorothy Parker  ~ "‘I am’ is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that ‘I do’ is the longest sentence?" George Carlin ~ "England and America are two countries separated by a common language." George Bernard Shaw ~

I know all too well about dangling and mangling when it comes to my use of the King's English. No. I haven't compiled a blooper reel from my blogs but I am sure there's plenty of material to choose from. Some of the things I write that end up being less than clear reflect the disjointed way that I think. I do catch many of them before they hit the finished page, however, there are plenty that slip through the proverbial crack. President George W. Bush, an intelligent man by any number of objective standards, could really get his words twisted in a knot. So much so, his famous mangling of the language became known as Bushisms. (Example: "They misunderestimated me." – Bentonville, Arkansas; November 6, 2000) The news media attempted to use these misspoken words to paint him as being less than bright. Interestingly enough, when President Obama did the same thing they excused his as being simply an honest mistake from someone so brilliant. (Example: "The reforms we seek would bring greater competition, choice, savings, and inefficiencies to our health care system." and "I have enjoyed campaigning in all 57 states.") You have to love the fact that President George W. was in on the joke. He poked fun at himself for the times when he would venture off the teleprompter and his words became gaffes. Again, both President Bush and President Obama have recorded gaffes that are a part of the official record. Most would know that President Bush had them because of how he was lampooned. However, Google them both and see that I am telling you the truth. I report. You decide.

I want to take a moment and comment on the current environment we live in characterized by hate and incivility. These recent mailed explosive devices help illustrate how charged this atmosphere is. The news media in general and Democrats in particular blame President Donald Trump for this development, 100%. I will be the first to say I think he is way too personal in his Tweets and in his criticisms. However, I invite everyone to look at the record. Call up the video evidence. Dozens upon dozens of recorded instances are available that show prominent people on the left spewing hate-filled rants against President Trump, some of them calling for violence, others imagining killing him, others hoping for assassination, and the list goes on and on. Here's one for you: Many of the people in these recorded, venom saturated rants are the very ones pointing the finger at President Trump. Now that is some nerve! I do think the rhetoric is out of hand. On all sides. I'm thankful they have what appears to be 'the suspect' in the bomb mailing incident. He apparently has a long record of criminal and erratic behavior. Then we have the hard to even contemplate killing of innocents at the Jewish Synagogue in Pittsburgh. Hate has become rampant in our country. The election is just days away and a lot of posturing is underway by those seeking to blame someone. I had, or at least I tried to have, a discussion the other day with someone who hates President Trump. Literally. They believe he is destroying America. I told them while he was not my candidate I could not in good conscience have voted for the other contender. This person flew into a rage when I said that. They said they would have to hang up because I had made them so angry. See what I mean? We cannot even disagree without it getting out of control. Maybe it's time for everyone to step back and think about where we are today. Everyone. Including me. Thanks for tuning in today. May God bless our country is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: