Tuesday, October 16, 2018

“Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it.” – Ann Landers

It's Tuesday, October 16, 2018, and I'm here to tell you the cold front has blown in with some winds of change. As of yesterday, I served my notice of my intention to retire from this Company where I have camped out just shy of the last twelve years. My meeting with Bro. Ronnie Smith, a dear brother in Christ, friend, and the owner of the Company was sweet bitter. I know. Bittersweet. But, for me, it was more sweet than bitter. God was good to allow us to work together for these past 12 years. I will forever be grateful for all the kindnesses shown towards me while working here. October 31st will be my last day. (Halloween. I hope that doesn't mean I will turn into a pumpkin.) This change will bring to an end my more than 55 years of public employment. I'm 72 now and this will answer one of the most frequent questions I've gotten over the past few years, "Just when are you going to retire?" That 'retire' word is a relative term because I do not see myself as spending my days in the hammock. And, we do have the little matter of 25 scheduled Santa events to take care of. And, we have many other things that need attention as well. I plan, Lord willing, to spend time each day in my upstairs office. I may not be posting my blog quite as early, but, I imagine it will be before some of my readers are up and about. My assessment of my time in the workplace: I've had a good long run. I've been blessed. I've worked with some wonderful people. I've worked on some great projects. God has been good. He is still good and I know He has something for me as I continue my sojourn here. Amen.

There were a lot of factors that went into this decision. And, prayers. And, the mutual consent and encouragement from the wife of my youth. I am looking forward to spending more time with her. I know this will require an adjustment since she is already a very busy lady with all the activities she is involved in. I am also very aware there is no retirement from serving the Lord wherever we happen to find ourselves. The other day I saw a fellow I had not seen in a while. He is a wonderful brother in Christ. He asked if I had retired yet. I told him I had not. He said when I made that decision I needed to let him know because he is a part of the Gideon outreach ministry and they would love for me to join their group. Like I say, there are numerous opportunities and many associated with the local fellowship of believers where we are members. The Santa Enterprise occupies about 45 days each year. I will likely join the wife in the special needs apartment ministry she is a part of. In that ministry, elderly folks with special needs are provided with a time of singing, praying, hearing a Bible lesson, and having fellowship each Monday morning. There may be something I don't even know about. However, one thing is clear, I should stay busy doing what I can until I get further orders. From above. Amen.

I remember talking to a fellow once who was so looking forward to his retirement. He made him a list of all the projects he wanted to get done in and around his home. It was a long list, but, after leaving the workplace, he had a lot of time on his hands. He told me he completed everything on that list in less than three weeks. He was shocked and unprepared to figure out what to do next. I've got a solution to that dilemma. No list. No problem. Just joking. I'm pretty sure we will be walking quite often. Likely in our local shopping mall. It's still open. I know many are closing as folks change from going to a store to doing all they can online. I also order a lot of what we purchase online. I no doubt will be keeping everyone posted on how it goes. After all, that's what my blog pretty much consists of, the unfolding of selected things about the life that God has given to me. I qualified that comment with the word selected. I don't think you could handle some of the stuff. I know I can't. Some have asked how I feel about this transition. I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out. That will require me getting in touch with my inner self. Sometimes, all the lines are busy, but, I will keep trying. Enjoy the rest of your day and may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: