Monday, October 8, 2018

"Following the light of the sun, we left the Old World." ~ Christopher Columbus

Good to see you. It's always great to meet up again. Our session today finds its way into our conversation as we begin this back-to-work Monday, October 8, 2018. I would say happy Columbus Day but he pretty much has been written out of our history because they didn't do everything back in his time like we do today. They were not concerned with political correctness back then. We know there were brutal impacts on indigenous people groups as discoveries were made. While the actual discovery of America can be questioned, we shouldn't gloss over the facts. Columbus, warts and all, made these ocean voyages and had much to do with the establishment of international trade which is now considered to be a way of life. He was a prominent figure in history. His accomplishments should be recognized. His faults should be examined as well. At the same time, imposing our 21st Century ideas in a revisionist way serves no good purpose. The facts tell the story. Let's let them speak. (He made great contributions to the understanding of ocean travel; he brought religion to the lands he visited; and he showed great courage in pursuing that first crossing, to name a few.)

I saw a fox the other morning cross in front of me as I made my way to the workplace. I guessed from the markings that it was a working mom who had been out shopping for food and was now on her way back home. It is amazing to see wild animals still somehow surviving in this overdeveloped subdivision world we live in. God created them with that instinct and while the wooded spaces are dwindling they still persevere. This particular lady fox was operating in an area known mostly for armadillos, opossums, raccoons, squirrels, and skunks. (She may have had in mind to serve up some fresh squirrel for breakfast.) She was actually crossing from in front of one of the large schools. What a surprise and what a beautiful bushy tail. Within a few hours that crossing would be filled with hundreds of kids, laughing and talking, and preparing for the day. I always perk up when something like this happens. It makes me aware that in our particular area we share the roadways with all kinds of wildlife. That reminds me to be up on the wheel and on the lookout. And, while I am talking about this I wanted to let everyone know that the little Benji vehicle-chasing-dog is back. Maybe he had been on a cruise or something, but, when I come around that curve, there he sits on the side of the road. He looks like he might be resting. He isn't. He is getting ready to come at my truck like there's no tomorrow. One day he had a friend with him. It was a little black pup who is learning some really bad habits. Maybe it was his cousin visiting. You know what kind of trouble cousins can get into. At any rate, I do my best to dodge him and any of his friends. I knew that inquiring minds would want to know.

I did meet my new doctor last Friday morning. I can see why my previous doctor may have nudged me in his direction. Matter of fact, pleasant, and very much focused on the current medical status of yours truly, it was an excellent start to what I hope will be a long-term relationship. And, yes, we also had a good laugh or two. He asked me what my assessment of my situation was. I told him that I am 72 years old, a confirmed diabetic for the past eleven years, and now experiencing the aches and pains that come from my sojourn here. I told him that with the help of excellent medical support that I feel blessed to be able to get up each day to go about my business. He said he felt the same way in that every day is a blessing. I say Amen to that. He was fascinated by our Santa Enterprise program and said he looks forward to meeting Mrs. Claus. He told me about another patient he has that also was a Santa guy but his health has deteriorated and he could no longer do that kind of work. I didn't say what I thought. It's that bad side trying to come out. That bad side wanted me to ask if the old Santa guy lost his health before or after he started treating him. Maybe I will save that joke until we get to know each other better. Or, maybe not.  Enjoy the rest of the day and may God bless is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: