Monday, October 15, 2018

The butterfly was sad to learn why she wasn't invited to the dance. It was a Moth Ball.

Good morning and welcome. The journey continues. This chapter has the following title: Monday, October 15, 2018. If we hit last week's predicted 59 degrees in this area, well, I missed it. However, in all fairness, I did see one morning a 61-degree reading a few minutes past 5 a.m. Since I was at one time a civil service employee working for the federal government, I have the right to use this idiom, "Close enough for government work." I was able to ride into work with my window down and the breeze was refreshing. (We are supposedly going to get another shot of cooler air, today.) I typically would leave our office door open for a couple of hours to air things out a bit, but, some of my colleagues have a serious issue with bugs. And, I will have to admit they do tend to come in when the door is open. But, you knew that already. Speaking of bugs, we use an environmentally friendly pest control service for our home residence. It costs slightly more than others but it mostly gets the job done. Mostly. The wife of my youth at times thinks maybe it is too friendly to the bugs. She doesn't like bugs. Growing up, my grandfather would spray around the outside of our house. I'm pretty sure whatever he used is now banned in every country in the world. It's a wonder I ever had children. (Joking only.) My mom's approach to the inside was the axiom, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness." Along with some kind of spray here and there. If my mom saw a roach she would eliminate it immediately but she also felt like she had failed. The wife is angry when she sees one. I try to explain that we live next to a heavily wooded lot and it is overgrown. We enjoy the privacy but it does come with some potential for it sending a few unwelcome visitors our way.

I saw a list of 9 physical changes that come to those blessed to grow older. The list included what happens to the aging heart, the bones, muscles, and joints, the digestive system, the kidney, and urinary tract, brain, and nervous system, eyes, ears, hair, skin, and nails, and, lastly, weight. I will not go into the details which might be depressing to some, however, there is some good news. There are things we can do to help in each of these 'naturally' declining parts of our anatomy. I'll not go into the things we can do because they too might be depressing since they do require action, discipline, and change. For those brave enough, you can find the details by searching for the following internet site: 'http://blog.johnsonmemorial.org/9-physical-changes-that-come-with-aging' Just copy it and put it into your search engine. At 72, I do not have to validate these findings since I have up-close and personal experience with them. I always think about the proverbial 100-year-old who ate anything they wanted to, smoked, and consumed alcohol up until the day they died. That may sound like a plan that works but may I tell us all that instances like that are few and far between. And, I add, don't count on having the same experience. The bottom line for me comes out this way: I could do more, I should do more, and, I hope that I will do more. I know. That 'hope so' is a little weak, but, we all have to start somewhere.

I landed on that list when I was looking for some humorous material. But, it did get my attention, therefore, if I needed to see it, others may also be in the same situation. I started to say in the same boat but that may be archaic by now. Like me. I occasionally get an inquiry about a word or phrase I have used in my blog. Sorry about that. I do see some of the modern shorthand communications between people much younger than I and I can't for the life of me figure out what they are talking about. And, I am not surprised it works the same way when they read some of my colloquial euphemisms. When it comes to my usage, I am no doubt way past my 'use by' date. I did like the fact that in a listing of what is considered to be literature's greatest paragraphs, those who chose the texts included a mention of one from God, "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters." (Genesis Chapter 1: Verses 1-2) I would add that anything from God's Holy Word is superior because it carries with it the power and presence of Almighty God Himself. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: