Tuesday, October 2, 2018

"There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing" ~ 74 year old Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet OBE, commonly known as Ranulph "Ran" Fiennes, is a British explorer and holder of several endurance records. He is also a prolific writer and poet.

I don't know where this is, but, I've seen this road many times growing up.
Good morning and welcome to Tuesday, October 2, 2018. I remember growing up how that October ushered in my favorite time of the year, cooler weather. Whatever the cause, it doesn't seem that way nowadays as I continue my journey in the 72nd year of my sojourn. Back in the day, that first wisp of fall was wonderful indeed. I can identify with a quote from the now 91-year-old recognized poet, W. S. Merwin, "I have been younger in October than in all the months of spring." It has something to do with the change and the anticipation of that change. All senses were on alert as cool breezes began to replace the ravages of stifling heat and humidity. Today, not so much. Don't get me wrong. The wife of my youth has done an excellent job of decorating our domicile with beautiful fall colors. It just doesn't seem the same with the high temps still in the low to mid 90's. Growing up, we had the expectation of spending a lot of time in the woods hunting for game, we thought about Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas, we knew that soon we might harvest a hog and there would be homemade cracklins. No wonder it was such a special introduction to my favorite season, Cooler Weather. You what? You didn't grow up with that on your calendar? So sad, but, that's okay because for me, it was a blessing back then and the short glimpses we still get today are a blessing as well.

No. I am not living in the past, just reminiscing a little to get our day started. Given all the unbelievable negative political stuff filling up every second of every minute of every hour of every day, well, I don't think a little distraction hurts. I've actually tried to isolate myself. You know. The proverb about monkeys from the 17th century comes to mind. I would love to be able to get far enough away from the maddening din of it all to the extent I could be like those monkeys, "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil." Even if you work hard at it, it's still very difficult to escape. I try to stay away from the news cycle but you run into people who ask you if you've heard the latest. I call up some great music on YouTube but the commercial is about what it is that I am trying not to see. No. I haven't tried digging a hole in the sand and sticking my head in it. But, thanks, that, may be a better suggestion than one might think. And, while it may be self-incriminating, I will tell you that I can only try to be isolated for short a period of time because I cannot deny the allegation that I am at heart, a news junkie. It may have started when I was a country boy lying in my bed at night listening to news broadcasts from all over the world on one of those multi-band radios. Doing that, along with traveling through the prose of Thomas B. Costain novels, well, I was a well-traveled little guy back in those days, at least in my own mind. What? That explains a lot? Good! When you have time please let me know because I'm still trying to figure me out.

I have the interesting challenge to try and cover the Book of Job in our lesson next Sunday. If you haven't checked lately, that is 42 Chapters. I liken this effort to doing a flyover of the Book using a drone. It is an amazing study that gives us insights like no other found in The Scriptures. It is a very old text, dated somewhere in and around the time that Abram, (Abraham), comes on the scene. I have had the privilege of teaching verse by verse through this great text several times. I can remember the reluctance of my class because it is so well known for all the sufferings Job endured. I heard one fellow giving a synopsis of the Book and he said most of us like the one we heard in children's Sunday School. God and Satan had a contest. Job was the one chosen to be tested. Job lost nearly everything he had. He refused to curse God. Next, Job lost his health. In the end, Job got back everything he lost and more. The only thing left out was how he lived happily ever after. I am one of those who believe in The Scriptures being breathed out by God. (Inspiration, 2nd Timothy 3:16-17) Therefore, this great text has a purpose. That purpose is to observe God and His Sovereignty, Job, his faith, his pain, his anguish, and how he came to recognize God in an intimate and awestruck way. Forty-two chapters in 45 minutes. The good news? If we come prepared to hear from He who breathed out His Word, we will hear from Him as we study together. Now that is something to look forward to. Amen and Amen. ....More later.

No comments: