Tuesday, October 30, 2018

“The realization that my daily relationship with God is based on the infinite merit of Christ instead of on my own performance is a very freeing and joyous experience.” ~ Jerry Bridges, Transforming Grace: Living Confidently in God's Unfailing Love

The crescendo is getting louder and bolder as I approach my next to last day here at the ole blogger ranch. That's right. Today is Tuesday, October 30, 2018, and I am continuing my tip-toe through some nostalgic thoughts as I prepare for this transition. One thing I thank God for is the level of respect shown towards me during my 12 year run here. This has been across the board from here beginning with the front office all the way to the helpers out in the shop. I feel somewhat unworthy of this response, however, I am blown away by it. It has helped to keep me humble as I remember that with respect comes responsibility. A new welder came up to me the other day and said he had heard that I was a super religious person. I told him that I sure hope I am much more than that because I am a believer in Jesus the Christ and He has helped to shape my life. He went on to tell me some about his Church and his experience as a believer. I told him that my life, my testimony, and my walk is not one suitable to be put on a pedestal, however, it is only by the grace of God that any of us can do anything that would bring honor to Him. That, my friend, is what we need, each and every day: Enabling grace. That's what allows us to do anything that will make a difference for time and eternity. Amen.

The wife and I did 2-1/2 laps at the mall this past Saturday morning. That is part of our future plan. It may be a requirement of anyone who retires. I haven't checked the laws but folks like us were mostly what we saw. That walk roughed up my arthritic hips, but, it will get better. That's what I am told. I hope so. I suppose it is the season since folks are beginning to begin seeing me and thinking of Santa Claus. Typically, the older people see it as a novelty and they ask for a new Mercedes or other types of exotic gifts. It is an occupational hazard and it doesn't really bother me. I usually give them one of our souvenir cards and they are always grateful and very gracious in their comments. Mrs. Claus gets a lot of attention. She is a people person and I think they spot that from afar. There were not as many people walking as I've seen before. Maybe they took the weekend off. When I go there to walk I often see those people who are very serious about their business. Some ladies kick up their legs like they are trying out for either the drum major job or perhaps a spot on the Rockettes. Others come by and they use their walking as a way of working on their breathing apparatus. Huffing and puffing. Loud. I point out new stores to the wife. She tells me they have been in the mall for two years or more. I showed her a set of new escalators being installed. She said they have been working on them for months. I'm sure I will catch on soon. In the meantime, if you see me at the mall please don't ask me if I know where anything is. Thank you very much.

In my looking back over the past number of years I would be remiss not to thank those who have participated each day in reading my blog. I know there are those who read it every day. I know that because when the internet is down or there is another type of glitch that keeps me from posting, I do get the inquiries. If my blog isn't there they assume the worst. I remember one day when I worked in the high rise in downtown Houston how I got there early and camped out in the conference room working on a presentation. No one knew where I was. They began to worry. I was missing. They called my wife. She knew I had left at my regular time. After some mild panic and consternation, we got it all sorted out, and, it was nice that folks at least noticed. A lady I know posted on Facebook the other day saying if she passed away, what would be your best memory of her. She asked for her friends to leave these thoughts in the comment section. I've known that person since we were kids, but, I do not participate in those kinds of shenanigans. I must not be the only one because as far as I recall she didn't get even one response. I'm pretty sure this was not what she had in mind. My advice, don't ask. Just me. You may like those kinds of things. If you do, go for it. Have a great rest of the day and be glad if your name is written the Lamb's Book of Life! (The Revelation of Jesus Christ, Chapter 13, Verse 8). Amen. ...More later.

No comments: