Thursday, October 25, 2018

They did what? Could you run that by me, one more time.

Yep. Still at it. Here at the ole blogger ranch. It's Thursday, October 25, 2018, and I send out a huge howdy to everyone tuning in to today's episode. I grew up in the small rural town of Hornbeck, Louisiana. The larger nearby town is Leesville. Recently, they did something that was pretty remarkable. They opened a new location with a renovated city hall. They did. They went all out. They had dignitaries from all around. They cut a ribbon. I admire the fact they repurposed a building. You know, recycling and all of that. The remarkable part? That building was previously one of the longest-running funeral homes in that entire area. That's right. I've been to a number of funeral services in that building. In fact, I conducted my brother's service in that very building. The photo of the pews is where the services were conducted. Up there were the city administrators now have their seats, well, that's where I stood with my brother's coffin where those flowers are. I've already seen some haunting jokes flying around and my guess is they are not even warmed up yet. I am sure when they make decisions that folks question, the ghost stories will come forth. I thought it was interesting for it to be such a lively commencement and dedication of a place where dead people used to stay. I suppose they will all enjoy a good laugh when someone votes to kill a recommendation. Let's just hope there are no strange, unexplained noises afoot.

I do enjoy keeping up with family and friends on social media. It's also a good way to share each others' burdens. I have over 600 people on my Facebook. Probably less than 100 are close enough to be called family or friends. However, many of the others are acquaintances and I do enjoy reading their postings as well. I do love seeing all the photos posted. These are the good things. There are some that are not so good. Right now, there are folks constantly being hacked and those doing the hacking send out fake friend requests. There are dozens of carbon copy chain letter like postings floating around. These start out by saying something about it being a test to determine who their real friends are. Those that react in a certain way are guaranteed to be kept on the friends' list. Those that don't risk being cut. Let me just say this about that. I hate those kinds of postings. Another thing that is a good thing but used so much it's overwhelming is the fundraising that has been incorporated into the system. Legitimate crises are posted and connected to a funding utility. That's a good thing. Now they have added ways for people to raise money for causes and to do so on their birthday. Instead of just wishing them a happy birthday, one is encouraged to contribute to their favorite charity. That's a good thing, but, when you have dozens of these showing up every single day, well, like I say, it can be somewhat overwhelming.

Example of 'fake news' that someone might send to their list.
My approach to dealing with the not-so-great stuff? Just skip it. Be good at skipping stuff that does not fit into your range of interests. My sweet mother, God rest her soul, felt like that if someone took the time to send something out, she should at least take the time to read it. Her eyesight was failing but she still did her best to read every posting from personal to political. She could become distressed over something someone copied and sent to her. Often, the thing posted was not based on fact. I would try and check things out for her, but, even when I reported back that it was a hoax or a made up story, it still had an impact. Our pastor recently talked about those who copy and paste things without knowing for certain if they are true. He said it was heartbreaking to know that God-fearing believers are at times participating in the propagation of lies and slander. That may sound harsh but I have found that very thing to be true. These postings fit the person's view of the world, therefore, it sounds right to them, so they forward it to their list. When someone points out the inaccuracies in the posting, well, typically, the poster gets angry and says that it could be true, therefore, they are sticking with the story. Stuff like that does drive me up the wall. I've had people correct statements I have made in my blog. And, I have tried to acknowledge them and correct the erroneous information I shared. Just so you know, I do my best to fact-check my own work. Some opinion related stuff is of my own making, therefore, it comes with the package. You know. Me. Myself. And, I. Thanks for tuning in. Have a great day and may God add His blessings to us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: