Wednesday, October 17, 2018

“And when we give each other Christmas gifts in His name, let us remember that He has given us the sun and the moon and the stars, and the earth with its forests and mountains and oceans--and all that lives and move upon them. He has given us all green things and everything that blossoms and bears fruit and all that we quarrel about and all that we have misused--and to save us from our foolishness, from all our sins, He came down to earth and gave us Himself.” ― Sigrid Undset, (1882-1949), Author, Nobel prize for literature

Good morning and welcome to Wednesday, October 17, 2018. I hope this day finds you well and ready to embrace all that God provides. I told the wife when I was driving home Monday how that I felt numb after having served my notice to leave my employment. It was an odd feeling. I have no doubt whatsoever about it being the right path forward for us, but, comprehending the change itself has been somewhat overwhelming. Meanwhile, we do have to stay focused on taking one day at a time. And, Santa and Mrs. Claus have a half day early bird session in the photography studio this coming Saturday. These are clients who want to get their photos in time for Christmas cards and presents. We will show up to do our best to help make a memory for these families, like the photo above. That one was made a few weeks ago when we met to shoot some promotional photos. Contrary to what many think, this work is both intense and taxing, but, we do love working with the children and the wonderful photographer, Mindy Harmon, and her staff. I did see an article depicting one of our local big box stores removing Halloween merchandise and replacing it with Christmas stuff. That must mean something. I hear you. It comes earlier and earlier every year.

If everything goes according to plan, November 1st will be the first day of my new status in life, 'Officially Retired'. My eldest son has already told me that if I develop bad habits like sleeping until 10 a.m. and things of that sort, he will be making a visit to our home. I told him I didn't think Uncle Arthur (Arthritis) would permit any shenanigans to go on like that. And, if that were to ever happen I no doubt could vividly recall the voice of Paw Paw Mac, standing at our bedroom door, in a gruff growl, "What is wrong with you boys? Y'all are all laid up in the bed like a bunch of dogs." Paw Paw's disciplined life was legendary. His immediate conclusion when someone did something peculiar to his practice was there must be something wrong. I can remember a time or two that he and I went by to fetch my sister's husband to go with us on a planned hunting trip. It was maybe 4 a.m. or a little after. We go to their house and not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse. No lights. No movement. Nothing. After a few minutes, we left without him. Later on, when we saw him, Paw Paw would ask what the problem was. I remember him telling my grandfather one time how the reason he didn't get up was because he could hear the wind blowing and he knew it wasn't a good day to go out hunting. Paw Paw didn't buy that and said something about the only wind he heard was the noise of him snoring. It was on days like that when I was sure glad that I had gotten up when I heard Paw Paw making noise in the kitchen. But, who knows? I started to say the Shadow does, but, that would be an old-time radio reference that most would miss.

The wife of my youth is concerned that I will become bored. I mentioned to her that I may take up a hobby. For some reason, we both let out a whoop of a laugh on that one. Like I say, I'm not sure why but we both thought that to be a good one. I might join a support group. How about Procrastinators Anonymous? I'm told I am really good at that one. I could consider collecting things. I read about one fellow who has been collecting belly-button fuzz for years. He is very proud of the several jars he has accumulated. One fellow had back scratchers from all over the world, 675 thus far, and still scratching for more. One fast food fan has collected over 75,000 pieces of McDonald's memorabilia over the years. Another lady has in her collection over 3,500 Dalmations depicted in stuffed toys, paintings, porcelain, you name it. There's a lady who boasts a collection of over 10,000 Winnie the Pool related items. Whatever happened to collecting things like stamps, coins, insects, and stuff like that? I have heard that I already do a pretty decent job collecting my dirty clothes and allowing them to be on display each week. I just thought of a project. Build something to hide them in. Oh, that's right. We already have something. It's called the clothes hamper. That's an odd name. I'm not sure I want to be associated with that one. You do know that I am kidding. I'm sure I will do just fine, even as I find my niche. Even that one sounds a little weird. Enjoy the rest of your day and I'll see what we can find to talk about for tomorrow's edition. Until then, may God bless us all is my prayer. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: