Thursday, October 19, 2017

"You don't have to see the entire staircase, just take the first step." ~ unknown

I'm glad to say that I am still here. The wife left me to go to Louisiana this past Monday. She is there with her brother to help him deal with the loss of his long-term companion. Meanwhile, I am surprised that I'm in as good of shape as I am. The funeral service over there will not be until Saturday. I can't be there because of a long-scheduled commitment to show up for the early bird Santa photo session in the studio on that day. I had to cancel Mrs. Claus. She is always a big hit with the kids. Some of our boys are making arrangements to be at that service. But, we carry on and seek to do the best we can, based on our version of reality on this day, Thursday, October 19, 2017. She is hoping to be home Saturday night. I say Amen to that! She and I have been a duet for so long I have trouble doing all that needs to be done, solo. She likes for me to miss her. I can tell. At any rate, we persevere. I am going to do my best to carry on with our Thursday Bible study in our home this evening. Fortunately, we have the two Jimmy's to help me get everything ready. I'm also preparing to teach on Sunday. It will be my first lesson as co-teacher in the class. I'm still amazed at how this all came about. A lady in the class asked the regular teacher if he would let me teach one Sunday. I don't know that lady. He asked and I taught that one lesson. He then came to me and asked if I would be willing to alternate with him in bringing the lessons. I told him I would pray about it. When I talked to the wife about it she had this to say, "Didn't you tell the Lord that if He opened a door for you to teach, you would do it?" She was right. I agreed to teach. My first lesson was from Exodus 20, the chapter with the ten commandments. This upcoming Sunday I will be dealing with the golden calf incident as recorded in Exodus 32. I did not seek a teaching position. That's why I am amazed. Bobby Michaels, the South African Gospel singer said he had learned to respond with this thought, "Could it be God?" Amen.

I talked with a fellow the other day that we have known since he was a teenager. He gave his heart to Jesus at the fellowship where we attended back in the mid to late 1970's. He is now a grandfather with one of his granddaughters in college. He is the real deal. I've known a few people who fit the old preacher's description of some who get saved better than others, meaning the change in their life is obvious, dramatic, and they go to work immediately. This fellow has never let up. We talk every few weeks. He and his wife had been in my Bible study class for many years. He called and said he had heard that I would be teaching at our new Church. I told him that I was still surprised by the opportunity. He said he certainly wasn't surprised at all that God had made a spot for me. I appreciated his thoughts and we had a good long visit. He and his family were also impacted by the change that caused us to seek a new Church home. They are praying about where God wants them to join. He is retired from his public job but still working tirelessly for the Lord. Working. Literally. Most recently, he has been helping a group who are providing construction services to Church buildings damaged by the recent hurricane. We shared prayer requests with one another. Folks, we are not in this journey for the Lord by ourselves. I left our phone visit encouraged. I hope he did the same. It reminds me of a thought from Hebrews Chapter 10, Verse 24, "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works..." Amen.

I do tend to get preachy from time to time. However, I will again tell you the truth. I did not know what would end up on today's page until I wrote it. Sometimes, I do have a general idea, but not today. Maybe that's why it's called spontaneous combustion. Joking only. At any rate, we are blessed to be able to do what we do as provided to us by the Lord God in heaven. I am also well aware that many of my blogs fit the category of been there, done that. Like the hunting stories yesterday. Sure, I've written about them before. They were on mind again so I wrote what was on my mind. That will likely not be the last time I write about them. I've not written much on current events lately. There are some good things happening but there are also some very depressing stories out there. When it bubbles up to the top of what I have on my mind, well, I will share my thoughts about it. I do have some. I really do. But, most of you knew that already. Thanks again for riding along with me on this blogging trail. It's good to have some company. Take care now, you hear? And, may God add His blessings to us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: