Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Sorry. You misunderstood. I was not arguing, I was only trying to explain why I am right.

This would be Wednesday and this particular Wednesday shows up on this day, October 25, 2017. The wife has plenty of things she can point out to me as those in need of improvement. Every once in a while I come up with one that I might be able to share with her. I've learned to think those over very carefully before saying anything. Not too long ago I thought I had a really good one. It was juicy. However, after thinking for a good long while, I made a discovery. It turned out to not be her at all. It was me. Again. I couldn't help but get weak-kneed just thinking about the boomerang effect that could have been initiated by me saying something. I suppose I could have done some talking to myself, but, I've found that during my long sojourn here on the planet that's typically not that productive. She will now want to know what it was that I thought she had done. I do believe we should practice that great advice and let sleeping dogs lie. I think she should be pleased that I am taking the high road on this one. Now to change the subject. Quickly. Before the ink dries. The other day we had an outside crew working here on the property. They had not been here for many years. One of our workers passed the word how the outside crew was wondering if it would be possible for them to see the Coca-Cola Santa. Since they told me, I assume I had something to do with their inquiry. Word does get around.

Life can seem like a series of near misses from time to time. Don't believe me, just get out on the freeway system that surrounds Houston and you will come to that conclusion in a heartbeat. Back when I was a teenager, we owned and operated two different service stations. Some called them filling stations back then. In one of the locations, we offered flat fixing services and we did get quite a few to work on, including some pretty big trucks. The other day I had a flat on the one-ton stake bed company truck. I was out on a run and even though it was the rear outside tire of two, I knew the tire had to be changed because of the load I was picking up. It had been maybe 55 years since I changed a big truck tire. However, I set out to do just that. It was only in the low 80's but I was out in the boiling hot sun. I first had to figure out all the convoluted equipment I would need. It was grueling work. My blood sugar got out of whack, but, I persevered, got the thing changed, picked up the big load, and made it back safely. I can't help but think it was a whole lot easier when I was doing that at age 15. The bottom line, I did get it done and that only goes to show you. When I figure out what it goes to show you, I will let you know. (I can hear the voice of Paw Paw Mac. "Son, don't get all worked up, it's only flat on the bottom."

I at least proved to myself that I could do it, however, I would never want anyone to see a rerun of that episode. I think it would be rated pitiful at best. Please don't send me a note saying that maybe someone is trying to tell me something. I don't even know what that means. I did learn one thing. Tire changing is not a future advocation that I will be pursuing anytime soon. Let me return to the scene at the mall from the to be continued session. I had gone to fetch a couple of new shirts and ties. I went to that famous store that has been teetering on the brink for several years, J.C.Penny. Everything in the men's department was literally turned upside down. Unbeknownst to me, they had a buy one shirt and get the second for 1 cent sale and the same for neckties. It took me about 30 minutes to wade through the piles and find what I needed and then I went to the checkout. A bright young man waved at me and said he would be right over to take care of my business. The lady standing near the register had a puzzled look on her face. He ran over and was obviously out of breath. He was one of these people with way over the top flowery lingo. "How are you enjoying this most glorious day? Isn't it all so lovely?" (I'm in a mall dude.)  I may have nodded. He asked if I was on the points award system. I told him I wasn't but the wife might be. He put in her cell number and it did come up. He asked if my wife's name was Merlin. I said no, it's Marilyn. He gasped. He said he couldn't help himself because he was so in love with the name Marilyn. Really? When the ticket was printed, the shirts came out where I paid for one and the other rung up for one cent, but, the neckties didn't ring up that way. I questioned him. He said the second tie was not a part of the special. I said they were together on the same rack. He said for me not to worry because he knew how to use his magical fingers to make it all come out right. He redid the sale and overrode the ties and fixed my ticket. Now you know why I do my best to stay away from places like that. In fact, you can ask her, the wife was stunned that I had even gone there. She was. Ask her. Have a great rest of this day and may God add His blessings. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: