Wednesday, October 4, 2017

"If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap) If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands (clap clap) If you're happy and you know it, then your face will surely show it If you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. (clap clap)"

Here we go again, I'm going to spin the ole blogger wheel and see what it lands on for this day, Wednesday, October 4, 2017. I'm working on it folks. I think these people who through no fault of their own who inherited a permanent smile, well, they would really make a good Santa Claus. That's the one thing I have to work on, almost more than anything else, keeping the smile going. Yeah. I hear you. That should be the easiest thing in the world. Obviously, it isn't, because I've seen some of the outtakes from my studio work, and even from other venues, and the look they captured on my face was not one embodied with a happy happy spirit. Maybe it's because I get too hot. Maybe it's because my achy breaky bones begin to be noisy. Maybe it's when I become weary. Or, maybe, it happens when I forget to remember that it is one of the reasons I show up for this work. I well remember my grandfather telling me when I was down in the mouth that I looked like a mule eating briars or how he hoped there wouldn't be a sudden freeze that left my mouth stuck like that. At least I know about it. I just don't want to have little kids look at their photo with me and ask their moms why Santa is angry or sad. We all are familiar with the old saying, "Smile and the whole world smiles with you." Guess what? It is true. In a 2015 scientific study, researchers discovered that if we see someone else smile, or even think about a smile, we reproduce it as well. I'm working on it. I really am. I know what I will do. I will enlist the help of Mrs Claus in helping to remind me to put on a happy face. I started to say she is good at giving me instructions but I didn't because she might take it the wrong way and I sure wouldn't want that to happen.

Earlier this week, the wife and I watched "Ben Hur - A Tale of the Christ." It was on the classic movie channel. It was released in 1925. It was a silent movie set to music with placards to convey the dialogue. It was on for two and one-half hours. Released one year after my mom was born, we were amazed at the production values. The stars on the movie poster were Ramon Navarro, a Mexican silent film actor, as Judah Ben Hur, and May McAvoy who played Esther. It was also amazing how closely the Charleton Heston version is to this adapted version from the famous book. I later looked it up and learned that in 1997, the 1925 Ben-Hur was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." It remains one of the few films at Rotten Tomatoes to maintain a 100% freshness rating. You learn something new by watching something old when there's no longer any episodes of 'Ninja Warrior' to watch on Monday evening. The book itself was written by General Lew Wallace, a distinguished Union soldier, especially during the Civil War, who attained the rank of Major General. While his exploits on the battlefield were significant, in the end, he continues to be best known for this religious-themed book published in 1880. (According to what I read, that movie was fraught with many challenges and cost overruns. The filming was dangerous with a number of extras and animals injured as well as one death during the filming of the chariot scene. When it was released it became a huge success with the public and it continues to receive excellent reviews even today.)

Lord willing, I am scheduled and will be filling in to teach one of the Sr. Adult classes at our new Church, this coming Sunday. I did not seek out an opportunity to teach but I had told the Lord I would if I was asked. I was asked. Therefore, I agreed to do my best, with God's help, to share His Holy Word. Many of my former students have weighed in and I think they are praying for these unsuspecting folks. I'm sure that is meant as good fun, but, when you think about it, after all these years they would know first hand. Growing up, we didn't have a lot of things to choose from for entertainment. I was glad when I got old enough to handle the fly swatter out on the porch. Yep. Killing time and killing flies. When I became a little more proficient, I could occasionally knock one down, right out of the sky. Those were bonus kills. Now I'm doing the same thing with scammers who make the mistake of calling my number. I typically key in their number into my pc and when I see the word telemarketer or scam in any of the listings, I quickly load up that number and hit it with that little symbol that says to the world, You've been blocked! Don't read more into this that you should. You can add it to the list of things that might explain how I became who I am today. I'm just joshing. (That term which means to engage with others in a joking or playful manner may have originated from the name Joshua. In the 19th century, Joshua was a common name of those living in rural areas, thus, the stereotype of country folks being less sophisticated may have led to the use of the word joshing.) Let me close by saying it has been one of those days. Tough. Especially when I am juggling without a net. Or something like that. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: