Friday, October 20, 2017

All over the place can refer to something being thorough and complete or it can reflect something that is inconsistent, without a clear pattern, with a large amount of variety. Therefore, I report. You Decide.

Yippee! It's Fridee! It's actually Friday but I was trying to make a better rhyme. According to the calendar on my wall here at the ole blogger ranch, it is officially October 20, 2017. This past Wednesday evening we had a Messianic Jew speaking at our local fellowship of believers. As a guest speaker, he dissected the 53rd Chapter of Isaiah and told how he found Jesus through that Old Testament prophecy. He also shared how he withheld his conversion for many months from his parents. While he was not ashamed of Jesus, he was fearful of how his parents would respond. He did not want to hurt them and he knew that his being disowned was a distinct possibility. He did finally tell them. That was back in 1961 and since then he has been sharing his testimony of how God spoke to him from Isaiah 53. Jewish scholars today reject that passage as having anything to do with their long-awaited Messiah. But, back in ancient times, Jewish teachers did believe it to be Messianic. I am thankful for this man's testimony. It reminded me of the Apostle Paul's appeal regarding the Gospel of Jesus Christ, "For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." (Romans 1:16) For those who think God is finished with His chosen people, the Jewish people, nation of Israel, they need to examine closely the Apostle Paul's inspired insights as given in Romans, Chapters 9, 10, and 11. Also, we see the Apostle John's clear end time teachings regarding the Jewish people as provided to us in The Revelation of Jesus Christ.

Yesterday, I had my annual eye exam. This was an extended exam related to my diabetic condition. I have a wonderful ophthalmologist. She is maybe 4 and 1/2 feet tall, mid-thirties, originally from India, married to one of the leading urology experts in the Houston medical center, and she just bubbles over with a happy, optimistic spirit. After her technicians finished with all their testing, checking, photographing, and dilating, she bounded into the examination room with a huge beaming smile. She announced that I had a good report. When I have a good report, she takes it personally because she knows how critical eye health is to those who are diabetic. Before we started our discussion, I showed her the one-minute promotional studio video of me being Santa. She has young children so she was thrilled to watch the video. I gave her one of our souvenir cards of myself and Mrs. Claus. She was elated. She said that card made her feel happy. She asked for a helper to bring her the tape dispenser. She taped our card to the inside of her notebook and said this, "I am very proud of this card and when I am feeling down or I have to deal with a disgruntled patient, I am going to open my notebook because it makes me feel good from the inside out." She is a believer. She agreed with me that my good report was a blessing from God. We made my appointment for next October and she thanked me for bringing 'the joy'. (Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at 7:30 a.m.) Sorry. But stuff like that both humbles Santa while also giving him a feeling of fulfillment.

Let me assure everyone that I am more than well aware of how quickly things can change. I put that next scheduled appointment in the previous paragraph as a way of saying this, only if God provides, and by His grace, and by His will. I'm sorry, but it still is somewhat amazing for me to make an appointment one year in advance. I heard a fellow talking about how we never know when we leave our home what may or may not happen. That reminded me of these statistics. "The survey found that 52 percent of reported crashes occurred five miles or less from home and a whopping 77 percent occurred fifteen miles or less from home. This data is not typically gathered by law enforcement or insurance companies." (Survey conducted by Progressive Insurance.) This, along with a multitude of other reasons, is why we all should do our best to be ready to meet God at any time. That may sound ominous but it actually is a reflection of our embracing of the truth that God has given to us in His Holy Word. For believers, it is something to look forward to because the ultimate outcome of our faith is to be in the presence of the Lord. I'll leave you with this one. The other day I took a crew out to do a field project. It was about an hour's drive. One of the fellows who went us was in his early twenties. We were there most of the day. As we prepared to leave he said he wanted me to know something, "Mr. Al, you do not drive like an old person. You zip on down the road. I almost always groan when I come up behind someone with white hair because they are typically dragging along and causing everyone to be late." I told him that as funny as it may seem, I feel exactly the same way when I run up behind an old person. I do. I really do. I remember my wife when she was just a wee lass and my girlfriend. She told me her mom was worried about me because someone had told her I drove too fast and was reckless. What's that I often say, "The more things change, it is the more they stay the same." Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. See you next time. Lord willing. May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: