Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Here's one for us all to think about: Where would I be were it not for God and His working in my life?

Good morning and welcome to another edition of my version of my remarkable life. I didn't say it was remarkable. There's been no official recognition that I have a remarkable life. I think I have one and that's why I said it was my version. It is Tuesday, October 31, 2017, and I actually hope no one gets killed wearing an evil clown face on this Halloween day. I Googled 'scary clown mask' and they appear to be readily available from Amazon, eBay, and Wal-Mart. We have an early start in the morning to go to the airport for our trip, therefore, we do not plan to participate in the Halloween experience. The wife will be helping this afternoon to get a booth set up at our local fellowship where the old folks will be serving up hospitality and refreshments. Meanwhile, I do have another, 'Could it be God?' story. One day last week I was driving home and there's a cut through that knocks off over 5 minutes of my commute. It takes me through a subdivision. I was driving along and I caught a faint glimpse out of my left driver's side window of a little cotton haired boy running on the sidewalk towards the street. Something told me he was not going to stop. He didn't. I did. There I was stopped in the middle of the street and he ran directly in front of my pickup. Here's the deal. He never saw me. Not even a glance. My legs drained a little when I thought of the 35 MPH speed limit in that neighborhood. I did take the time to thank God because I'm not always tuned in that close to stuff like that. I'm so thankful that God distracted my driving that day. He did just that. I know. I was there. And, yes, I am more careful doing that cut through because you just never know.

I know some is as a result of conditioning. But, receiving our tax statements for our water district, county, hospital district, school district, local college, and the emergency services district levies, well, it is somewhat of a downer. In the summary statement, it says revenues are projected to be $328, 524, 551.00. That is followed by the expected expenditures, $328,524,551.00  Looks like they have a place for every penny which means I most likely shouldn't look for a refund of any kind in the future. According to their provided statistics, our personal tax bill is roughly $600 higher than the average in our county. Like I say, there's something about getting these statements in October for taxes due in January of the next year that tends to make one a little grumpy. I know that government is a God-ordained institution and that we are called on to support and pray for those in authority over us. When I begin to think about the blessings I enjoy as a child of God living in the country we are privileged to live in, and, how He has provided the things we own, it causes me to read again The Scriptures, as it were the first time, "Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to evil. Do you want to be unafraid of the authority? Do what is good, and you will have praise from the same. For he is God’s minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God’s minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath but also for conscience’ sake. For because of this you also pay taxes, for they are God’s ministers attending continually to this very thing. Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor." (Romans, Chapter 13, Verses 1-7)

This past Sunday was a busy day. We typically have a full schedule of Church-related activities and seemingly, by the time we get home after services in the morning, it's no time before we head back for the evening schedule. Early Sunday afternoon, I ran by the grocery store on the way home to pick up a few items. When I came out to my truck, it would not start. Dead battery. I guess the cold killed it off. I could not believe it. There I was, in my suit and tie, but my truck was not going anywhere. Two men who were getting in their vehicle in front of me saw my dilemma and immediately came to my rescue. They asked if I had jumper cables. I had not seen the cables in a while but I do have some behind the seat. They were there and they helped me get started. I so much appreciated them doing that. When I got home, after trying to determine the age of the battery, with no luck, I decided to take the wife's car and go buy a new one. We had a big hymn singing to attend Sunday evening and I didn't have time to fool around with checking the old battery. When I went to the auto parts store I had thought it had not been very long at all since I bought that battery. The lady deciphered the code and said I had bought it in July of 2007. Really? Five years is pretty good for our weather conditions. At any rate, I brought the new one home and our son, Jimmy and I, got it installed. We had folks coming from Louisiana for the big singing. What a great time we had. We then went to dinner with them. Way past my bedtime. I was very surprised when I hit the floor at my regular time Monday morning. God was again good. I thought I had a fairly new battery. It wasn't. Some good Samaritans went out of their way to help. We had a wonderful time of hearing some 2,000 voices singing praises to our great God. Great fellowship. And, then, back to it. Lot's of fun trying to keep up but thankful for the journey. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: