Monday, October 16, 2017

Every time I upgrade to a new cell phone, they get lighter and smaller. With me, it seems to be working exactly opposite to that.

Good Monday morning to each and every person who intentionally or accidentally finds their way to this page. Thanks and welcome, regardless of your transport here. It is Monday, October 16, 2017, and I believe I notice a little difference in my finger function since I have not been using the remote as much to switch forth, back, and everywhere in between, to stay up-to-date on the NFL games in progress. I have, in the past, suffered some from TFS, Tired Finger Syndrome. (When I am not too busy I come up with new diseases. It's a hobby.) Now, I only have to worry about NASCAR, baseball, and the commercials. Yes. I am aware they have that feature available on my system that allows you to automatically skip the commercials. We don't have that one, and, to be honest, I'm not sure how I would operate without all the multi-functioning I'm engaged in when mangling the remote in one hand and using my cell phone to keep up with social media in the other. I don't call the model I have a smartphone because comparatively speaking, it doesn't have an IQ that warrants that name. Don't get me wrong, it is hugely more functional than my previous flip phone but it is still in the slow learner category within the high tech realm. Yep. I am aware that many of the problems likely originate with the operator. I don't have a problem pleading guilty with a fair amount of premeditation thrown in for good measure. One can do that with a straight face when you hit the three score and ten and counting status.

The wife left me again to go to Louisiana last Friday. She and her twin sister, born 18 months apart, were ministering to their older brother. I got up early Saturday morning and thought about all of my options. To cook or not to cook, that was the question. I knew I had to eat something because even taking one half of little dynamite pill can make one woozy. I got dressed and drove over to the local International House of Pancakes, (IHOP). It was practically deserted with maybe 6 to 8 customers scattered around the place. The lady who waited my table was nice enough but very hard to understand. We get that a lot these days. The coffee was fresh and hot. The taste was passable if you don't really care that much how coffee is supposed to taste. (Sorry, I had to throw that in.) I ordered something called the Rise and Shine for those 55 and older. That made me feel sad. I remember when I was 55. That was 16 years ago. Maybe they should add something for the over 70 crowd. I ordered my two eggs over easy. I used to say sunny side up but I've tried to adapt to the lingo they use. I substituted ham for the meat. Everything was freshly prepared and reasonably okay except the wheat toast which had been out for a while. I saw the manager come out of his little cubby hole of an office. He has been the manager there for a long time. He always carries somewhat of a forlorn look on his face. He had one of those 10" expanding folders under his arm and it looked full. In the other, he had a stack of papers, receipts, and stuff like that. The people across the table from me were in deep conversation. The younger man, maybe in his mid-thirties, was some kind of tech geek and he was trying to explain to his much older mom some sophisticated stuff showing them to her on his smartphone. Just me, but I think he could have toned down the Star Wars lingo for his mom's sake. The food was okay. I took my medicine. I left a good tip because people who work there deserve a little extra now and then, and maybe more importantly, I am, after all is said and done, Santa Claus.

Us with our dear Sis. Catherine. We had her memorial service a couple of weeks ago.
This coming Saturday is our first scheduled appearance as Santa and Mrs. Claus for this upcoming season. It's the early bird offering at the professional photography studio we work with each year. There are two additional full days scheduled there in early December. It's slightly cooler today, praise the Lord, but it would do me a mighty big favor if an even bigger cold front was to blow in by this next Friday. Regardless of that, Lord willing, we will do our best to show up ready to help make memories. I think I will leave off the tiny little pill starting next Wednesday so that I don't go getting myself wobbly with the handling of so many wonderful boys and girls. I was telling an older fellow about that first little squirmy kid I drew when I was doing the promotional photos a few weeks ago. That little dude was a handful. The older guy looked at me and said, "That made you wonder whether you really want to do this again, didn't it?" I would not be honest if I didn't say the thought had not crossed my mind, but, when I think of how much joy we bring when we show up as Santa and the Mrs for kids, of all ages, well, it does motivate me to give it another go. They also pay us pretty well for what we do. That's also a consideration. Not a huge one, but, it is a factor. (As my wife likes to say with a grimace, it helps to pay the taxes we owe each year.) I do try in anything I do to do my very best and I hope to be at my best when we show up for our first appearance. I actually started to use the word gig but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Well, the wife came home and the stars have realigned themselves to their correct position. Now, as she would tell you, if I could only do the same. (Please say a prayer for her brother Cleon. His long-term lady friend and companion passed away late yesterday afternoon.) Have a great rest of the day Monday and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: