Wednesday, October 11, 2017

"What success looks like: A homecooked meal." ~ Jaclyn Crawford, Editorial Editor, Forefront Magazine

We open up our gift for today and find out it is another opportunity at life on this Wednesday, October 11, 2017. Whatever I had in mind to do yesterday, well, as they say, my intentions and the opportunity itself, yesterday, is gone. But, if the Lord allows, I do have today and it will do just fine in terms of making the progress I failed to achieve before. Some people do go to a lot of trouble to try and stir up the passions of others. Using tools readily available, people can develop news stories and other types of articles that bear no resemblance to the truth, but, many people grab hold of it and become distressed. I suppose those doing this get some kind of kick out of this type of fake news hoax. One recently had to do with the announcement of the closing of the Whataburger chain of restaurants. (It was a false report but Google 'Whataburger closing' and see how widespread it was.) I actually didn't see the original social media posting that had many people upset until a disclaimer came from the corporate office. That disclaimer had a copy of the fake report with a huge Fake News stamped on it. The posting announcing the closing looked very professional with photos and the formatting that was used. Whataburger is an okay burger joint to me, but, here in Texas, it is on the same list that has the Alamo on it. People love it. I'm sure those who saw the false report were alarmed. They were. Now they can feel better about getting their hands on their favorite burger. I mention this because there are much more serious issues being falsely reported and it is an absolute tangled web of trying to make sure one gets the facts. My approach is to always consider the source and check it out. There are ways to do that. Do that before you start frothing at the mouth. (That phrase may have originated from those who end up with rabies accompanied by a foaming at their mouth.)

The Bible study class we attend in the fellowship of believers where we are new members sent us a questionnaire in order to add us to their member profile book. One of the questions asked what my three favorite foods are: 1) My wife's cooking. 2) My wife's cooking. 3) My wife's cooking. I wasn't trying to be cute. The truth is the truth. I asked if she had seen my answers and she just shook her head. I think she thinks I was one of those kids who colored outside the lines just to stir things up. I can't remember that but I may have drawn what I considered to be a better picture of whatever it was they wanted me to color. She well understands my thoughts about the meals I enjoy. Nowadays, when she asks where I want to go to eat she typically says upfront that eating a meal at home is not one of the options. I'm actually glad that people can go out and enjoy themselves at the restaurant of their choosing. More times than not, I feel good if I am reasonably okay with the meal, but, I never get the idea that it should even be on the same page with what I enjoy sitting at our own dinner table. But, don't I know that place has a lot of stars? Maybe so, but, for me, I can't help but identify with this famous quote from a well-known philosopher, " I Yam What I Yam and Dats What I Yam!", Popeye, the Sailorman.

Please don't send me any letters about my wife being a kitchen slave. First of all, it wouldn't be in the least bit true. Period. And, secondly, at this point and time, those kinds of accusations are not even relevant to how we live out our lives. Finally, my wife can choose not to cook anytime she wants to and I'm okay with that, but, when it comes to stating my preference, I will not yield the floor. Not now. Not ever! I say that not to be unkind, just to emphasize my point, because I am well aware that we are all put together differently. I hear people glowing about this or that food served up at this or that place and my take is those places would serve better-tasting food if they battered and fried their menus. See what it mean? They said they loved it. Me? Like the story George Washington got credit for but he really, as for as we know, never cut down the cherry tree, I cannot tell a lie. I wouldn't eat those same dishes if they brought them to me and paid me. Would I appear as Santa Claus in a commercial for those eating establishments where I would be seen endorsing their wonderful menu offerings? Well, it is called acting, and if the money was right. Joking only. You do know I make this stuff up as I go, but, you will not need to fact check my report on my three favorite foods. Those you can count on. And, you can count on God. He has promised to be with His own, no matter what. That, my friend, is very good news. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: