Friday, October 13, 2017

Yesterday was Thursday the 12th, today is Friday the 13th, tomorrow will be Saturday the 14th. Any questions?

I looked up at my wall calendar and confirmed that this is Friday, and I am very much okay with that, on this October 13, 2017. I tried to separate Friday from the 13th as best I could out of respect for those who are susceptible to supposed superstitions. My way of looking at it says in this sin-cursed, fallen world, bad things happen to a large number of the 7.6+ billion folks breathing air on the planet, and, they happen every second of every day regardless of what day it happens to be. At the same time, by the grace of God, there are many within the human family who are being blessed every second of every day. According to the Creator, we can date this fact of human existence that every person experiences all the way back to Adam and Eve and their fall. (Book of Genesis.) As a human being, we cannot escape the results that come with being born with a fallen nature, alienated from God. Add to this, the fact that we are a fallen people living in a fallen world. Sounds hopeless, but, God had a plan to deal with this situation even before the world was created. It involved sending His one and only Son to die for all those under the curse of sin. That is Good News to everyone who will receive Him as Lord and Savior. Here's how the Apostle John quoted Jesus, "For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him." (Gospel of John, Chapter 3, Verse 17) He came to save. The Lord Jesus Christ Himself, on the very last page of Scripture, says: "whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely." (Revelation 22:17)

Time. It sure seems to be flying by these days. What's that? You've noticed the same thing? I can honestly say the wife and I are just about as busy as we have been in a long time. The good news is how that much of what keeps us focused are things that pertain to the Kingdom of God. Since that work has to do with influencing ourselves and others for time and eternity, I submit it is the most important busy we could be privileged to be involved in. Last Saturday morning I committed myself to trying to stay in the bed as long as the wife stayed. That became a big battle for me. Everything within my internal clock mechanism was making all kinds of noise. I fought it and stayed, at 5 a.m., the battle continued, 6 a.m., and finally, I threw in the towel about 6:45 a.m., got up and began my morning routine. Maybe when I retire-retire and I'm at home every day, maybe then I will be able to 'sleep in'. I doubt it. Here's something I've learned. Every person is wired differently. People seem alarmed by the long hours I keep each day. Guess what? According to my mom, I was a kid that jumped out of bed ready to go each morning. That's the way I'm wired. Does that mean I am better than the next fellow? Getting up early is easy for me, but, that doesn't mean I have it all figured out. I have plenty of blind spots, issues, and other challenges that need work, every single day. In fact, that might be the reason I'm wired the way I am, so I have longer to work on my issues each day. My point? However we are wired, we can take it all and use it to serve our Lord. Think about it.

I know that kids coming of age varies depending on development and maturity, but, typically, it was thought to be 13 when I was growing up. I became a teenager in August of 1959. Shortly after that, Hawaii was admitted as our 50th state. Bonanza, the long-running TV series, had its debut. The blockbuster movie Ben Hur starring Charleton Heston was released and went on to win a record number of academy awards. America recognized the new Cuban government with Fidel Castro as the new president. As for me, I was focused on baseball as a major part of my life. As I've said in the past, I often slept with my Al Kaline glove. I most likely did hear Bobby Darin's number one hit for that year, 'Mack the Knife' and also Johnny Horton's 'Battle of New Orleans'. It was supposedly a transition year, from childhood to adolescence, but, I can't really remember any girl related crushes or things of that nature. I didn't say there weren't any. I just don't recollect any specific stories from that year. I do remember the room I shared with my brother and the bed where I slept. I do remember my mom working like a slave to provide for us six kids. I most likely didn't look at it that way when I was 13, but, looking back, I know that to be 100% the truth. I don't really have a point here, other than to say we all do carry with us today our past experiences, even those we had as a kid. It's part of who we are and how we are wired. Good stuff, bad stuff, and everything in-between, it's with us and may even compliment our ability to serve God and others today. That's what I was thinking about today. Next time we meet, who knows? Until then, enjoy your Saturday, and Lord's Day Sunday, and may God be honored in the life He has given to each of us. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: