Thursday, October 12, 2017

Children's song: "Oh, be careful little tongue what you say, Oh, be careful little tongue what you say, There's a Savior up above, And he's looking down in love, Oh, be careful little tongue what you say." (Public Domain)

We have had an almost noticeable but, at best, a very small down payment on what it might look like when Fall actually begins to be felt, as in, cooler weather. Here it is, Thursday, October 12, 2017, and I'm still hungry for some cooler weather love but find myself waiting in her welfare line. I don't hold back here in my daily blogs and most of you don't have to wonder what I think regarding the things I write about. I do my best not to express myself in a way that reflects a mean spirit or to intentionally offend others. That doesn't mean someone wouldn't take offence. If you have a conviction and opinion on anything, someone else will likely take exception to your viewpoint. However, I cringe at times when I read the flamethrower stuff that gets posted on Facebook. Much of it is just downright rude, crude, and cruel. With the postings I see, the majority of these originate from or they are endorsed by folks who identify themselves as believers in our Lord Jesus Christ. As Bro. James who penned the earliest writing in the New Testament put it, "My brothers, these things ought not to be so." (Book of James, Chapter 3, Verse 10) I end up hiding those types of postings. What made me think of this was another posting by a brother of some inspired truths from the Apostle Paul, "So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity." (Letter to The Colossians, Chapter 3, Verses 12-14) Food for thought. For me and perhaps for others as well.

I did see one posting that no doubt caused many to be excited, while in others, like me, it produced a groan. "The Premiere Dates for Hallmark's Christmas Movies are Here. This is the best news you'll see today. Hallmark will premiere 21 new movies this year." And to think, they do that each year with just one script. Now I will give them credit for ingenuity. They've already made a couple hundred and now they are adding another 21. At least they don't have to invent new stories. This announcement will likely lead to the meltdown of our satellite TV control box. The dish outside on top of the garage may explode. Meanwhile, ladies will be participating in a sigh off competition from sea to shining sea. The winners will then move on to the national crying contest. I think Hallmark now has about five channels on our system. It will be an all-out romantic assault on our holidays. I am not saying I never watch them. I typically stay with it for the first three or four minutes. That way I can give everyone the plot, the winners, the losers, and who, at the end of the program ends up with the partridge in a pear tree. I do try to be helpful. It's my romantic side kicking in.

That was supposed to be a parody of sorts and I'm not overly concerned about people who like those movies being offended because there's not too much that will keep them from seeing them all. Often, more than once, and even oftener. Trust me. That is a word. I'm sure it also helps the economy some. It will likely lead to increased tissue sales, popcorn, hot chocolate, and other related products. I know what it's like to enjoy programs that other people would rather not see. The other day I watched some of the 1956 Godzilla film from way back with an all Japanese cast except for a somewhat younger Raymond Burr. I thought it was pretty good. You had this guy dressed up in a dragon suit stepping all over what was obviously cardboard cutouts of Tokyo. One recent evening, the other half of the equation woke up from her nap on the couch and asked what in the world I was watching. It was a documentary on the making of the first Godfather film. She asked if there was anything else on. I switched to the 10,000th rerun of one of the Everybody Loves Raymond episodes. I will remember that when I wake up in the middle of one of those kissy-kissy Hallmark Christmas shows. If I've got it right, it will go something like this: Is there anything else to watch? Just having a little fun here. And, I am thankful for the day that God has given to us. Enjoy it as best you can and may He continue to bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: