Tuesday, October 10, 2017

"Do you want to know who you are? Don’t ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Hello Tuesday, October 10, 2017, it's good to be able to rise and shine as we welcome this new day to our activities. It remains to be seen what we will be able to accomplish today, but, we ask God's help as we pursue His inspired instruction, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6, NKJV) I am beginning a shared teaching ministry at our new fellowship where believers meet each week. The fellow I will be sharing the teacher's lectern with is 80 years old and a widower of two years. When we were talking about sharing this responsibility, he laid out for me the many activities he is involved in. He is a very busy man and most of the things he is doing relate to God's Kingdom work. That conversation impressed me because it tells us all that we don't have to take ourselves out of the game and go sit on the sidelines. He is still very much mourning the loss of his beloved wife, yet, he is still actively serving in many different areas. Maybe it's because I'm three score and ten plus one and counting, but, I do find myself at times wondering about my ability to keep at it and then God sends me word that He is able and He will let me know when it's time for me to take a seat. Little things like that help me to be encouraged. Maybe it will encourage you also. Amen.

By this time this little story is not only repetitive but most likely boring as well, but, since it has taken quite a bit of my time and effort, I wanted to update you on my Santa Claus business card caper. I now have sitting on my desk 1,000 plastic business cards (like a credit card) embossed with a photo of yours truly with Mrs Claus. They are not usable unless I would be willing to hand out a less than excellent representation of who we are. The company that ran these cards may be the largest in the business. However, while they did a lot of re-runs, all the king's men and all the king's horses could not get our cards put back together again. I do appreciate them refunding my money but I actually would have preferred getting the cards I need. I now have an order in for 400 with a different provider. We will see how it goes. My final remarks to the customer service people went like this. "I used to run a technology group as part of my responsibility, and, I can't for the life of me figure out how you can make a perfect run and then with all the expertise available to you, you are not able to repeat it." They were so apologetic. I couldn't help myself, "That also includes a refund on the shipping. Right?"

NFL ratings are down significantly and polls show it is connected to this anthem controversy. The good news is that everyone can choose to do what they want to do in terms of a response. I made the decision that I could live without the NFL, including our local team. Some have boycotted most of the games, but, they have made an exception for their local team. I understand the point being made by the players wanting to use this as a means of protest. I'm not going to say they have no cause at all to be concerned about, however, I totally disagree with their approach and their chosen method of airing what they perceive to be their grievances. Nearly all of them are highly paid for the job they are hired to do. Part of their job is to make the presentation of the game one that viewers will enjoy and want to continue seeing. It is a business. Many viewers, myself included, are turned off by this open show of disrespect for our flag, our nation, and for those who wear the uniform to defend us all. Turned off. I don't watch a football game to see this kind of protest. Now I am not watching any professional football games. But, here again, people can vote the way they see fit. They can continue to buy tickets and watch the games. Some just look the other way while the kneeling is on the screen. This is America. Meanwhile, since it is a business, one would think that eventually, dollars lost will begin to be a factor. Meanwhile, I'm watching NASCAR, our local Astros, world soccer, some college football, and maybe the national tiddlywinks competition if it comes on. I report, I decide, you make up your own mind. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: