Friday, October 6, 2017

Reading it again, for the first time.

Today is Friday, October 6, 2017, and we are all still in somewhat of a state of bewilderment in the aftermath of the mass killings out in Las Vegas. I'm certain that Franklin Graham doesn't read my blog but here's his Facebook posting from this past Wednesday: "Many people don’t understand what would be in a person’s heart to spray bullets into a crowd to kill and wound as many as he can. Or what’s in the heart of a person who drives his car across a bridge in London and into a crowd of people, get out with a knife, and stab innocent people and police officers. Or what’s in the heart of a person who would take a knife and cut off the head of another human being. Many don’t understand what’s in the heart of a person who’s a senior attorney for CBS and says she has 'no sympathy' for those killed or wounded in Las Vegas simply because people who listen to country music might be Republicans. The common thread that runs through the heart of each of these is evil. The Bible says, 'The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?' (Jeremiah 17:9). Evil exists in the world today and the Bible warns us that 'because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold' (Matthew 24:12). We see a rise in wickedness, not just in this country but around the world. And Hollywood filmmakers continue to promote evil, wickedness, violence as a form of entertainment. Our nation is in trouble, and only God can heal the human heart. That’s why Jesus Christ came—to pay the penalty for our sins and to offer forgiveness through faith in Him. What’s in your heart today?"

My blog the day before his posting, last Tuesday, had some very similar themes. My wife sent me a note and said it was exceptionally good. That's a first. She has used the word good, a rare very good, but, I believe that's the first time she has used the 'e' word. At any rate, I thought it would be good for us all to read that one again, including me.

Today is Tuesday, October 3, 2017, and I'm thinking how hard it is to know what to say about something as tragic as the shooting out in Las Vegas. The people of our nation hurt as we think about the lives lost at the hands of one individual. I heard one eyewitness saying that she had seen children falling as the shots rang out. Children, moms, dads, brothers, sisters, cousins, grandchildren, and connected to us all as fellow citizens out to enjoy a night of their favorite music. One need only to listen to some of the news reporters to see how quickly politics was injected into the mix of their supposed reporting of unbiased facts. One senior legal counsel lost her job with CBS for tweeting out how she had little sympathy since these were country music fans and likely Trump supporters. CNN's chief Whitehouse correspondent actually implied something very similar to that same sentiment, but, as for now, he still has his job. One thing is absolutely certain. This heinous act has forever altered the lives of a huge number of people. My heart is broken. Our only hope is in the Lord. "He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3)

I didn't know anything about what had happened in Vegas until I got into my truck shortly after 3:30 a.m. on Monday morning. I put my regular BBC on and it was live streaming a press conference with the policing authorities in Las Vegas. I checked a couple of times to see if I had it on the right station. I still didn't know the magnitude of what had happened. All I could do was to think of the fallen, their parents, grandparents, and other loved ones. That, in a manner of speaking, brought me to my knees, as I sought God on behalf of them all. Let's see. We've still got the North Korean crisis going. The ongoing recovery from the hurricanes here in the contiguous states and the ravaged U.S. territory of Puerto Rico. Add to these, a variety of world calamities in progress, the shooting in Vegas, and all the insults flying forth and back on the political front. Is it any wonder that some reporters tell their viewers they might want to have the children leave the room. I'm not sure if that wouldn't be a good idea for us older folks as well, however, we all know that hiding from reality will not change anything. We continue to see what evil the human heart can conceive and bring forth. No wonder God inspired the Prophet Jeremiah to proclaim: "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?"Jeremiah 17:9  (English Standard Version, ESV)

We will soon learn the names of those who were murdered. Life is very fragile folks, and short. Shorter for some than others, but, relatively short for us all. That's why God calls us to make peace with Him and get our lives straight, now, today. The Apostle Paul in his second letter to the members of the assembly meeting in Corinth, Greece, quoted from Isaiah in reminding them of this truth, "For He says: 'In an acceptable time I have heard you, And in the day of salvation I have helped you. Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.'" (2nd Corinthians 6:2) I know I have droned on from a spiritual perspective, but, I can't apologize because I feel it's our only way forward. This is my heart. Now you know how I see these things. Those people who died needed the Lord. The man who perpetrated this great evil needed the Lord. But none of them needed Him any more than you and I. That's my point. No offering required for today's sermon. Just me. Sharing. May God bless each one who reads my blog today and may He intervene on behalf of our hurting nation. Amen.

Thanks for hanging in there with me this week. I would hope our places of worship are filled to capacity this upcoming Lord's Day Sunday. It would be the appropriate response to seeking God at this time. Amen. .....More later..

No comments: