Wednesday, June 28, 2017

"Those who make the worst use of their time are the first to complain of its brevity." ~ Jean De La Bruyere, (1645-1696), Philosopher and Moralist

If you are like me and let's hope that you are not like me, at least in many of my weird ways, but, given the speed of time, do you have trouble believing this year is nearly half over? That was my thought when I glanced up at the calendar and made contact with it being Wednesday, June 28, 2017. Being in the Santa Claus game with many Santa Facebook brothers keeps that countdown always in focus. We have these many days until Christmas. We have these many sleeps until Christmas. We have these many weeks until Christmas. We have these many Mondays until Christmas. And much more. These are typically accompanied by a cute graphic, but, while I am committed to my role as the jolly old elf, I can wait. You mean you don't sit around dreaming about that time when you will be all decked out in your Santa garb? Not really. I occasionally entertain the thought of thinking about thinking about a stint as an international Santa, but, other than that, the actual portrayal in the Suit, well, it can wait. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy folks recognizing my resemblance and it bringing them a smile. I was walking towards the big box store one evening last week, and, a thirty-something-year-old lady was literally jumping up and down like a child hollering out a greeting of hello to Santa. Her husband wasn't so inclined. She was overjoyed and he looked like I had maybe ruined his day. Maybe he would have been happier if I looked like the Grinch.

It's like the famous quote, "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time." Yes. It was used by President Abraham Lincoln, however, he could not be the originator since it was actually composed by a Monk by the name of John Lydgate who lived from 1370 to 1451. See there? You learn something every day here at the ole blogger ranch. You knew that one already? See there? You get things you knew already confirmed here at the ole blogger ranch. I'm wondering if I could somehow get some government support for public service, like PBS. You do know I am kidding about that. Right? I'm almost certain that I would be disqualified from the get go because of my advanced degree in political incorrectness. I would have to cover up my "All Lives Matter" orientation since it has now been deemed as racist by the mainstream pundits. That's okay. I don't think it's racist because I have God's Word on it, John 3:16.

I'm still using our little laptop to get my blogs out each day. We purchased it some nine years ago and it was a refurbished model when we bought it. More and more programs are no longer able to function because the little dude needs to be brought up to date, but, it's not worth the time, effort, and expense to do that. It would be cheaper to buy a new one. So far, I've been able to find a workaround when something goes amiss. Here's my dilemma. There are times when I have several workarounds stacked on top of each other and the only menu to how they work is located in memory. Not memory on the computer. My memory. You know. Gray Cell Valley, Inc. It does have a number of age-related issues at this time. But, I am certain there are no more upgrades available for that system. I'm always happy whenever it hangs in there long enough to produce another episode. Take care and let's see if we can find a way to make the most of the time that God has granted to us. Today! Amen. ....More later.

No comments: