Friday, June 9, 2017

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.” ― Thomas Jefferson

I wish a good Friday to everyone out there on this June 9, 2017. I wrote that little piece the other day about the insane construction woes in and around our area. Many who read it most likely thought I was way over the top in my assessment. To that I say, hold on for just a cotton picking minute. So, I'm listening to the mega news radio station, (KTRH 740 AM), and they do a promo for their traffic reporting. Here's the gist of what they said, "We will help you to deal with the Barrell Battles and Construction Armageddon." I had not heard that before. Maybe they read my blog. At any rate, even the local news folks recognize what I was writing about. And, there you were, thinking I came up with that stuff just to have something to write about. It's okay. I'm not one to not say I told you so, especially, when I really did tell you so. Obviously, they think the problem to be of biblical proportions with their use of the word Armageddon. I will have to think about that one, but, the truth is, it is a mess out there on the roadways and I'm not sure the folks in charge really pay much attention to those whose livelihoods depend on their ability to get from Point A to Point B. I suppose that assessment of the situation might fall into the category of political commentary, but that doesn't change the truth. As I see it. And, I am unanimous in my own opinion.

My brother Victor and I with dad.
We do plan to travel to Louisiana tomorrow to check on dad. He is still in the hospital and he does seem to be recovering some, physically. His mental state is still very confused. Some have said he will likely not know who I am. That's okay because I do know who he is. We have a huge number of folks praying for God's will to be worked out in dad's situation. That is very comforting to our family. Many have made comments on our Facebook page talking about dad's many contributions to the little community where he and mom lived. I think that is a good reminder of his sense of serving. Retired military, retired civil servant, retired as a town official after nearly 25 years of service, and so many other instances where dad was distinguished by his willingness to give of his time and effort. I remember one fellow who became very ill. That man was not close to anyone in that little town. He was a veteran and he asked dad to help him settle his affairs as he prepared to die. Dad stepped in and worked with this fellow soldier to get everything taken care of. After the man's death, dad took care of making sure the children received what was left to them. He had a file folder. It took a lot of his time. He was not a close friend but he was willing to help this man. I thought about that as one example of his character. Not perfect by any means, but, he did accomplish good in his time here on the planet. Amen.

Another work week in the books, as they say. I continue to be asked often by different folks about my retirement plans. Some would argue that I've already retired but just haven't left the premises yet. You know, in my case, 'Elvis' has not left the building. I do get a sense that it is nearer today than it ever has been. Duh! It would have to be since every day makes it closer. Right? But, more than that, it does seem to have made it onto the calendar as a coming attraction, but, I'm just not sure about the date yet. Maybe that will become more clear soon. Meanwhile, I'm still on my regular schedule, but I thank everyone who wishes me well whenever that time comes. I've tried to think about how I will use my time whenever I no longer come into the office here. I'm sure the wife has some questions about that as well. What we do know is that it will be different. But, Lord willing, whatever I do, it will be accompanied by some hot, black Community coffee. Take care now, you hear? And, may God bless us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: