Tuesday, June 27, 2017

"Posterity is the patriotic name for grandchildren." ~ Art Linkletter

Happy Tuesday to one and all, on this June 27th, 2017. I want to send a shout out to our 11-year-old grandson, Alex. He recently completed two weeks of working with robots. It was two different one-week day camp programs. The activities included the design, assembly, and programming of the robots. The young lady, Riley, was his partner in the second week and the duo built and programmed a robot that could solve the Rubik's Cube. Riley was the only girl who participated in that particular program. The two were given an award because their robot worked. It is my understanding that Alex and Riley were the only participants to receive an award. I don't know whether this will help Alex as he continues his education, but, as they say back home, it sure will not hurt. I very much don't know what the arm around the shoulder is all about, but, he needs to hold back on learning anything about that until much later. Much. Later.

Some will say that is pretty nerdy stuff. Yet, I would counter with the old saying, 'different strokes for different folks'. The old joke comes to mind. The boy came home one day and told his dad that he wanted to go to Georgia Tech and become an engineer. His dad was distraught as he responded, "But son, why in the world would want to learn how to drive a train?" I talked to our Brady boy not too long ago as he and his dad drove down the road. He was very articulate about the things we discussed. These kids today. They seem always ready with an intelligent response to just about anything you say. This past Saturday I had an opportunity to speak with seven-year-old Great Grand Madi girl on the phone. She was at her Paw Paw's house. She was so sweet. Here's the deal. I just have to tell the truth here. I've gotten to where I often get a tear in my eye when I talk with my grands and great grands. What in the world is happening to me? I can't be sure. Is it sentimentality or senility? I don't need your input on that one. I'll figure it out on my own, but, thanks.

The fellow who works with the teenagers at our local Church approached me a few weeks ago and asked if our class would like to participate in a Bible challenge quiz between their youth group and our group. I told him to bring it on. I didn't know how it would go over with our class but the kids invaded last Sunday and the quiz contest was on. It was close. And, a lot of fun ensued. In fact, many of our folks, us older ones, thought it was great. Surprise, surprise. I'm not going to say who won or lost but I will report that the older group did not miss a single question. Here's my thought on that. We, who have been studying our Bibles for four times longer than these kids should know more. We have had more exposure. I did make the point to us all that winning the Bible quiz reflects knowledge, but, our life is where we show if we really have applied those truths. The wee little kids sing about it in their class, "If you're saved and you know it, then your life should surely show it." Amen. .....More later.

No comments: