Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Southerners don’t call people “unintelligent”…they say “dumber than a sack of rocks.”

No creatures stirring, seen or unseen, to report on this Wednesday, June 7, 2017. The grammar checking program I use advertises on the internet and promises anyone who uses it will be a much better writer. I'm not sure they would say that about my usage. And, since I use the free version, I suppose they couldn't really offer to refund my money. They might be thinking about asking me to please not tell anyone that I use their program. Just joking. I use Grammarly and I think it is a terrific utility. We do butt heads a lot because while it may work in many different languages, it does not have an add-on for the type of sling-slang I use. I just coined that name sling-slang. I thought it appropriate since I do use a lot of slang and I do tend to sling it onto the electronic page. Get it? I am sure you do if you have read any of my postings. While I don't use many of these specifically, I am very well aware of their usage and their meaning. ~That dog won’t hunt. ~ Run with the big dogs or stay on the porch. ~ Happy as a tick on a fat hog. ~ Give him two nickels for a dime and he’ll think he’s rich. ~ All hat no cattle. ~ Fine as frog’s hair split four ways. ~ Drunker than Cooter Brown. ~ Grinning like a possum. ~ Happy as a dead pig in the sunshine. ~ Knee-high to a grasshopper. ~ Slower than molasses on a frozen morning. ~ Enough money to burn a wet mule. ~

If you didn't grow up with those, well, I'm not sure what to say. You could order you up some Community Coffee and pretend you did. I am well aware that all regions have their own version of slang. When we were in the UK we found out that in addition to their use of English being different, they too had their own slang words to enliven the conversation and confuse their cousins from across the pond. I just watched a rerun of one of my favorite episodes of Duck Dynasty when the Robertson Clan travels to Scotland in search of opening a new market there. It was Redneck meets Scottish brogue. I've seen it several times but I can't help myself, I still laugh. There's that scene where Willie is playing golf on a links course with a potential franchise operator for their duck calls. The fellow says they prefer to use local brands. Willie says he believes they just might have Scottish roots, therefore, in a way they are local. The man asks about the kilt Willie is wearing and whether it is their family tartan pattern. Willie had no idea what he was talking about but Willie's wife pipes up that it was the only one they had in a husky size. I don't know why but that is hilarious to me. What's that I heard said? That explains a lot? Good! We are making progress!

They are hard to resist. Don't you think? You might be a redneck if... You think the French Riviera is a foreign car ... Every time you see a road sign that says "DIP" you reach in your back pocket for your chew. ... And, they go on and on and on. Our dad has been admitted to the hospital diagnosed with pneumonia. We do appreciate prayers on his behalf. This has been a challenging year, but, we do know so many others who are dealing with difficulties as well. It is part of our shared identity. It has to do with race. The human race. ("No trial has overtaken you that is not faced by others. And God is faithful: He will not let you be tried beyond what you are able to bear, but with the trial will also provide a way out so that you may be able to endure it." 1st Corinthians 10:13) And, the individual race God has given to each of us. ("Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, we must get rid of every weight and the sin that clings so closely, and run with endurance the race set out for us, ..." Hebrews 12:1) I suppose I need to make sure my running shoes are in working order. Take care, and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: