Monday, November 28, 2016

"Wake up and smell the routine!" ~ copied

Well hello there, and I suppose I can join in with the fellow who posted on Twitter coming out of the holiday, "I'm just thankful I am not a turkey." It's almost a relief to be back in the routine of my early morning trek to the office here on this after the extended holiday, back to work Monday, November 28, 2016. I made a decent showing in my preparation for the first time of the traditional cornbread dressing. I had good instruction and supervision. We did have our moments. She was patient with me to a point. She only walked out on me once. It had something to do with the fact that she was supposed to be telling me what to do. When questioned, I said something about Emeril. She was not impressed and asked what Emeril had to do with the business at hand. I mumbled that I used to watch him all the time on the Food Channel. I guess that was the tipping point because she actually walked out and said something about me doing it the way I wanted to anyway. The good news, she was only slightly angry but not mad-mad, if you know what I mean. At the end of my exhausting labor in the kitchen, we ended up with 99.5% of her dressing. (It did need a pinch more of salt.) She taught me well enough that I now know how to go through the process and to be honest, I'm still unclear as to whether Emeril had anything to do with it. But that's all I could think of when challenged. I'm almost certain that throwing in a "BAM!" would not have helped my cause.

We all are familiar with the fill in the blank, Happiness is ....... ~ Watching the cold rain from inside a warm house. ~ Being loved for exactly who you are. ~ A little kid with a handful of dandelions picked just for you. ~ Making someone else happy. ~ Serving others. ~ A good cup of coffee and a good book. ~ A family get together. ~ Knowing that God is in control. ~ Not taking yourself so seriously. ~ Enjoying a lazy day. ~ A home cooked meal. ~ Loving on grandchildren. ~ Fellowshipping with other believers. ~ Watching your child perform. ~ A call or note from a friend. ~ You can come up with your own list. Last Friday I was reminded of a happiness theme. For me. As a diabetic, I always fear the day after. Big holiday feast. Lots of foods we normally don't eat. I toyed with the idea of not doing the finger prick. You know. Take a day of vacation from that momentarily painful test. But, since routine is the name of my game, I did the test and was elated with the result. That's what made me think of this little exercise, but on that particular day, for me, happiness was a 116 fasted blood sugar. I know. It could have been better, but may I just tell you I was expecting something north of 135. That got me off to a good start. Maybe Emeril did have something to do with it. As you can tell, it doesn't take much.

The wife counted up some 14 or 15 events for us to cover as Santa and Mrs. Claus over the next four weeks. For someone still working full time, that's pretty challenging. However, it should, as they say back home, keep me out of trouble. That reminds me. Why did they say Trouble was my middle name back when I was a young teen? Most people knew my full name. I suppose they were just messing with me. That must have been it. I do hope you had a wonderfully thankful time of reflection and restoration over the past several days. I did get a headstart on our greeting cards. I knew with our busy schedule coming up it will be difficult to find the time to print them out. My recliner will be glad to get rested up now that I am back on my regular work schedule. I gave it a good workout over the past four days. Intermittent stretches. A few hours here and a few hours there. My wife is practicing on being a comedian. She loves to ask me if I enjoyed my nap. She also volunteers to share with me what happened on the show I was really wanting to watch. See what I mean? Maybe she was the one whose middle name should have been the 'T' word. Have a great rest of the day Monday and may our Great God add His blessings to us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: