Wednesday, November 9, 2016

"The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1)

Good morning. I bring you greetings from my home away from home, where I am back in the saddle again here at my regular workplace, on this day after election Wednesday, November 9, 2016. I am glad to report the wife is getting better and recovering from her fall, albeit, slower than she would like. I think we all know the age factor does influence how quickly we snap back. Okay. We have a decision from the election process here in our nation. We have a new president. It was a surprise to me. Yes. I did vote straight Republican but may I make it clear one more time, I did not feel any sense whatsoever of excitement in doing so. Sorry. But that was my feeling. As this new regime begins to get ready to assume the powers of what is still called the most powerful human position in the world, I think it good to be reminded that God is Sovereign. He is always on His throne. "The king's heart is like channels of water in the hand of the LORD; He turns it wherever He wishes." (Proverbs 21:1) Some might think that viewpoint is a cop out. However, if it is true, and it is, that makes it much more important than the person who takes the oath of office. I'm glad for those who are glad about the outcome. I've already seen postings in my circle that are also euphoric in nature, almost as if we have elected a truly superhuman saint. Not so fast. I prayed for President Obama and his family throughout his time in office. I will do so for a President Trump, but, I will also continue to acknowledge God's authority and His rule and reign over all things. Amen

The other day when I was back in the little town where I grew up I did some walking around at our home place. When dad died in January 1954, my mom and the six of us children relocated to this little rural Louisiana town and initially we moved in with my mom's parents, Granny and Paw Paw Mac. I was seven when this cataclysmic change happened. While my grandparents' home has been remodeled some over the years, the basic structure is still there. As I looked at that place memories flooded my soul. Us boys all sleeping in the same bedroom. Granny standing over a hot stove. Paw Paw building a fire in the fireplace. I remember my bewildered mom huddling us all together in a back bedroom to pray that God would somehow help us to make our way forward. Not far from that house is the one built for us to live in. I think we actually moved to it in 1957. God had made a way for us. Walking around the yard reminded me of so many times that we played our hearts out. I won't tell about all the games we enjoyed since they are no longer politically correct, however, we always had a feeling of wellbeing and security in that home. I could see my mom standing as us kids all dug into the meal she had prepared. It was like a feeding frenzy but she cared for us like Jesus described Himself, "...how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings..." (Matthew 23:37) I will say it one more time, I am thankful for God's provision of the family He gave to me and the heritage that was handed down to me, along with so many fun memories of growing up. I superimposed my image on top of a huge oak tree in the back of what used to be Paw Paw Mac's garden. It was not so big when I was a kid. But, it has changed, and so have we all. The wife thought the photo was a little weird but it was intended to make a point. Again, thankful to God for all that He has done. Amen.

We didn't expect to load the wife up in an ambulance last Sunday morning. I was at the Church getting ready to teach my lesson. My cell phone rang. Yep. You got it. It was our version of, "I've fallen and I can't get up." Since the incident, she has used that analogy several times, therefore, I'm not breaking new ground here. My point? We just never know folks. We never know. Life is like that. Many have mentioned that her burning of the candle at both ends and in the middle made it necessary for her to take a break. She is a servant. And, she is willing. Now, we are doing our very best to serve her in her time of need. I told the folks at the hospital that I have over 52 years of investment in that woman and I'm still committed to taking care of it as best I can. Sleeping on that couch at the hospital may have tested that some but the truth is, whatever little I can do will never fully demonstrate my thankfulness to God for her. Now it's time for her to get up and get back on her feet. Paging Mrs. Claus, you have children waiting to hear you read to them. Praying for God's help in her speedy recovery. Amen. ....More later...

No comments: