Monday, November 21, 2016

Peeve: To cause to be annoyed or resentful. 1. A vexation; a grievance 2. A resentful mood (Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com)

Welcome back. To all you folks and to myself. I'm fresh off my time of sitting in The Chair, but, I also saw the huge throng of people, mostly ladies, doing their impression of shopping frenzy. I suppose that was expected since it was a holiday market experience. They looked like they were practiced at it. And, I think we all know it's a preview of more to come. You can be sure of that. It is Thanksgiving week and I bid you a hearty hello on this back to work Monday, November 21, 2016. I'm sure most of us will be at least paying lip service in our thinking about our blessings in this week where thankfulness is front and center. (The Grammar program told me there were several problems with that sentence, but, I pause to express my thankfulness for the 'ignore' option that he/she so graciously offers me.) After I read something a couple of times and it says exactly what I want to say, well, I, typically move on down the road. This morning I am thinking about the things that irritate me. Not you. Me. I get very agitated when the person in front of me on the roadway fails to go because they are looking down at their smartphone and not at the signal. That increases if I have to sit through two cycles because of their texting. I got stirred up the other morning because of an intersection that was checking every conceivable turn, go, stop, sit, stand, you name it, all in SLOW MOTION. It was only 3:45 a.m. and not a creature was stirring, except for yours truly. I mention those two because in the grand scheme of things they really don't add up to very much. They are certainly infinitesimally small compared to making it to my destination safe and sound. Yet, they and so many more become peeves that we nurture and embellish in our sojourn here. The old adage mostly applies, 'Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small'. To be clear, I'm well aware that not every single thing is small but I'll talk about that another time.

I think I mentioned the peeves because they tend to interfere with my consideration of the blessings that surround me. I may get all bent out of shape because of a distracted driver but if I am not careful, my peeves can become front and center as the focus of my attitude. For someone who identifies as a child of the living God, born again through the blood of His one and only Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, and indwelt by Holy Spirit God Himself, my true identity really doesn't show up if I am mostly annoyed when I should be living a life of gratitude and grace. I stopped with the peeves list where I did because they tend to become very personal. Yet, if we are not aware of their destructive force we are less likely to follow Barney's advice, "Just nip them in the bud." If I go back and read that statement again about who I really am in Christ, it does require much more than an annoyed countenance. Much more. In fact, that verse the Apostle Peter was inspired to give us really is next to impossible to live out if our persona is not one that prompts inquiry, "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,.." (1st Peter 3:15, NIV) Not too many people are going to be inclined to ask a grumpy grouch about something positive that shows in their life. Ouch. I am preaching. To myself. Why? I don't need a drum roll. Because I need to hear it! Amen.

I  have no idea why I got up today and decided to show you my own dirty laundry. (At least some of it.) But, perhaps, it will help me and maybe someone else out there in that place where emails and digital connections come together to make things like my blog available. I heard a sermon many years ago about the destructive power of 'stinkin thinkin'. Thoughts do have consequences. On ourselves and maybe even more so on others. I need to write down some of this stuff. That's right. I already have. Let me close today on a lighter note. Here's some recent correspondence to the jolly old elf. ~ Dear Santa, I have been trying to be a good boy. I would like a remote control semi-truck. With a ramp. And please make my brother Robert nicer. And please bring him back when he is nice. I love you. Thank you. Your friend, Brian. ~ Dear Santa, I wud like a $1000000 statue of Marty McFly for Chrismis. Love, Dylan ~ For Santa, When you are done eating the cookies, eat the vitamin. Love, Ella ~ Dear Santa, I would like a chainsaw, a blue bike, a trampoline, a claw machine, and a cash register. Wayne. ~ These kids did blow up my grammar utility but they did seem to do their best to connect to the season. Have a great rest of the day Monday and may God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: