Friday, November 18, 2016

Kid to Santa, "How in the world did you do it before Amazon?"

I've really been enjoying these moonlit cool mornings of late. I hope I don't have to wait another 70 years for them to return. The cool mornings. It's Friday, November 18, 2016. Today I have my annual appointment with the lady ophthalmologist who keeps watch over my eyes with a particular interest in me being diabetic. She is a wonderful doctor. However, I can't say the same about her patient. I'm hoping they will not be doing that time slice laser check of my eyes since it requires for me to sit perfectly still and even more constraining, to refrain from blinking. No blinking. It doesn't work if you blink. The folks within our circle at our local fellowship know me very well. If I mention in passing an upcoming doctor's appointment, someone will invariably respond by saying they will be praying for the medical staff. That typically generates a laugh but I cannot really deny the sentiment. I've had more than one technician throw up their hands in defeat when trying to work with me. Sorry. It's not from a lack of trying. Yes. I do know the joke. It's because I am trying. Very trying. At any rate, I look forward to seeing these folks who will all rest just a tad easier as they see me finish my visit and leave for my car.

Lord willing, I will start my seasonal representation of the jolly old elf beginning tomorrow. Sadly, my lovely bride will not be able to don her Mrs. Claus attire due to her continuing recovery from her back injury. I offered to bow out completely if they could find a new team to replace us, but, they wanted me to be their Santa again this year. They said they will take care of covering the Mrs. Claus vacancy. While everyone knows that I am fiercely independent, it should be clear that I always do better when my life partner is with me. Forever and ever. Amen. That sounds like it could be a song. Oh, yeah, it is a song. That's how a lot of my ideas turn out. Solomon did say there's nothing new under the sun. (Ecclesiastes 1:9) I suppose that's why I don't have anything patented or copyrighted. You do know I am joking about that. While I will miss having my Mrs. Claus there, I am looking forward to the event. The Junior League volunteers are some of the finest people I've ever worked with. You can put a 'period' behind that. I know. I did. The folks taking the photos are terrific. The children. Oh, my! The children. They are treasured blessings. Then we have the parents. Most of them are okay, but, some fulfill my grandfather's proverbial prophetic words, they come to a goat house looking for sheep wool. In other words, they have in mind a combination of Thomas Kincade and Norman Rockwell at the place that prints the photo while you wait. Need I say more?

I do want to again thank the wife's sister, Dorothy, for coming over from Louisiana to help out during this recovery process. Both of these girls have busy lives. Both of these girls are servants of the Most High God. This means there is an impact of them not being in their places, both in Louisiana and here. It's good to be missed. And, both of them are missed in the ongoing activities they actively pursue on a daily basis. I do know this. Their mom and dad would be thankful to God for the women of faith they have become. Some think that folks in heaven know about things like that. I'm not certain but if that's true, then Bro. and Sister Rawles are beaming with Godly pride. These girls came from very humble beginnings and their growing up in a preacher's home was not without its challenges. However, when it came time to build their own families, they chose to do it as best they knew how, God's way. Their families, including yours truly, are the beneficiaries. That includes home cooked meals. I thought I would throw that in as an illustration. I guess I had better close out for this week and maybe find a quiet place to practice my ho ho ho's. Maybe not. Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday. I'll do my best to be in my place come next Monday morning. Until then, may God watch over us all. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: