Wednesday, November 16, 2016

“The moon is friend for the lonesome to talk to.” ― Carl Sandburg

Argentinian view.
My camera view.
Super hello on this supermoon Wednesday, November 16, 2016. I thought I had better chime in on this very popular astronomical event being played out before our very eyes. The photo on the left is not very good, however, it is genuine, and it was taken by yours truly, yesterday morning at 4:15 a.m. I have a little camera that I carry in my briefcase but I don't use it very often, therefore, I am a little weak in the two areas that were most important for this particular photo, the focus, and how to turn the flash off. I know. That should be simple, but, it wasn't like that big huge super moon was going to wait around while I figured it out. I know some of you are not satisfied unless you can pinpoint the exact location where they landed on the moon. Sorry. You will most likely need a different view than the one I captured. However, I did find one taken in Argentina that might help. It's the one on the right. They probably had a telescope and special camera. In other words, they had a better seat. They likely also knew how to focus and turn the flash off. Either that or they got lucky. It could happen. Maybe the moon itself had something to do with it. There are reports of people doing some pretty weird stuff and saying the supermoon caused it. I always enjoyed the late Andy Williams singing the 1961 hit song written by the late Henry Mancini, 'Moon River': "Moon River, wider than a mile: I'm crossin' you in style someday. Old dream maker, you heartbreaker, Wherever you're goin', I'm goin' your way. Two drifters, off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. We're after the same rainbow's end, Waitin' round the bend, My huckleberry friend, Moon River and me."

We really liked that song. We may have had it on eight-track. I know we literally wore out the cassette. I really liked that song. However, when I looked at the lyrics again, for the first time, I realized something. I have no idea what it meant. Fortunately, we have Google. I put in 'moon river explained' and guess what? I may have come late to not having a clue about the meaning of those lyrics but I certainly found out I am not alone. Best I can tell from many different submissions, the song has something to do with the 'two drifters', the singer and Moon River, as a metaphor for going here and there seeking out romance. Or something like that. Or maybe not. Or, whatever. Are you telling me that we wore out a perfectly good cassette recording and didn't even have any idea about the meaning of the song? I can't fudge here: Guilty as charged. It is, after all, a song about the moon and we already know what happens when the moon starts messing with your mind. One interesting side note, the use of 'my huckleberry friend' was an obvious offhand reference to Mark Twain, (Samuel Clemens), whose boyhood home was in Missouri. Andy Williams later built a theater in Branson where he sang that song thousands of times. The moon. I report. You decide.

Not getting the lyrics right can be dangerous. The wife and I recently heard the first hit song recorded by Petula Clark, "Downtown", released in 1964. It reminded us of the story about her dad's sister Aunt Marie. She was keeping her grandson and he kept running around the house singing that song. However, she thought he was saying a curse word, damn-town. She warned him to stop immediately. He would for a while but before she knew it, he was singing that cursing song again. She threatened to wash his mouth out with soap. (My mom's approach too.) Finally, she spanked his bottom. It was only later that she discovered the real words he was trying to sing. She felt terrible. See what I mean? Not understanding the lyrics can be dangerous. Especially, if you are a kid still perfecting your speech patterns. And, think about it, he couldn't help himself, because that song was on every station and he likely heard it over and over again. If he had been smart he would have sung 'Moon River' and he nor grandma would have had a clue as to what it was about. I am walking proof of that one. You what? You knew what it meant the first time you heard it? There's always one in every crowd. Right? Have yourself a good rest of this day that the Lord has given and may He add His blessings to it. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: