Tuesday, December 1, 2015

“It still feels weird to spend money on Christmas trees. Back when Mom was alive, we’d go out “tree hunting.” That’s what she called it, anyway. I think other people might use the word “trespassing.” ― Jenny Han, Author


Sister Glenda and Bro. Milton
 **** I ask for special prayers on behalf of my wife's brother, Bro. Milton. He is a beloved and widely respected pastor, evangelist, and more importantly, a devoted man of God. He was admitted to the hospital in Louisiana this past Sunday with a preliminary diagnosis of pneumonia. During the running of tests it was discovered that he had developed a number of masses that appear to be cancerous in his lungs and kidneys. His wife Glenda and their two sons are by his side and he will be moved today from the rural hospital to a larger one in Lake Charles where there will be further assessment. My wife, Marilyn, will be traveling today to be with the family as they seek God and His provision. As many of you know, Bro. Milton, now 75 years young, is our miracle man, God providing for his survival after he suffered a catastrophic heart attack and stroke while helping to rebuild our house after Hurricane Ike. He also performed our wedding ceremony, his first and our first soon to be 51 years ago. I can assure one and all that Bro. Milton is at perfect peace with whatever His Lord has in store for him. To know him is to love him and we do. Amen. ****

This is Tuesday and it's December 1, 2015. I know it is. I checked. I did read about some of the violent behavior of some shoppers on Black Friday. It's become a part of the scene. I didn't care to see the videos. I also heard an interesting report about how the big screen TV's may not be what the buyer thinks they are. According to Consumer Reports, most of the TV's being sold during that big promotion are called derivatives meaning they were produced to be sold on that day only. They are not available for review and testing or comparisons. But they are big. I mean people are willing to risk life and limb for the chance to buy a 60" TV at a low price. I do know that our artificial tree has officially given up the ghost after 35 years. I suppose my wife is to blame. She did not pretend to water it and it died. It's a joke. This meant we had to go fetch a new tree. Not just any tree. This is the tree that is in the house where Santa lives. Mrs. Claus does a wonderful job making it so very special and we along with our guests enjoy it all. It really is my favorite time of the year.

Our wonderful mom and dad, November 27.
I know some folks who have just made the Naughty list no matter what. One of my brothers in red just reported on Facebook how his special Christmas lawn ornaments were stolen out of his front yard. From Santa's house? It included his beautifully decorated mailbox and illuminated reindeer. Some people. Speaking of decorations, I noticed the other day at mom's how she is really struggling with her eyesight loss. She can still see enough to walk around from room to room but it is very hard for her to see small objects including the food on her plate. We pray for her everyday that God would be with her as she deals with all that comes with her 91 plus years. She told me Sunday evening that she supposed us being there talking about all the Santa and Mrs. Claus stories got her into the Christmas spirit. She and dad have been in decorating mode since we left. I'm pretty sure it's mostly dad with mom's direction. Poor dad. He is such a wonderful example of a caring companion as he dotes on her and helps her with the challenges she faces each day. I later told the wife about how we got mom into the Christmas spirit and she thought that was the greatest thing ever. We tell people all the time that our desire is to bring Christmas joy to children of all ages, and, the song does say kids from one to ninety-two. With mom we were close on that one!

Cooped up in a studio room most of the day Saturday I didn't even know it had rained. We left there around 6:30 p.m. and it was pouring. They said it had rained for most of the day and I believe it. There was water standing everywhere. The ditches were all full. Much can happen even without you being aware of it. It also turned cooler. I'm not keen on standing out in the rain and getting wet but the wet and cool combination does present a decent 'feels good to me' kind of sensation. I was at the Church facility early Sunday morning enjoying that cooler weather out on the porch while enjoying my Community. I know. Later there were others who showed up and their teeth were chattering. One lady grew up in the cold up north and she said the damp and cool reminded her too much of those days gone by. I know I can't handle it like I used to. I probably am no longer willing to jump out of a boat on the lake into frigid waters at midnight just to prove my manhood. Others were supposed to follow. They didn't. I was maybe 14 or 15 years old. I don't think I would do that one again. I'm almost certain I wouldn't. Almost. Surely I have better sense than that. One would hope. Take care and may God bless. Amen. ...More later.

No comments: