Thursday, December 31, 2015

"Although no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." ~ Carl Bard, Scottish Theologian, (1907-1978)

This is it folks. The very last day of 2015. (Thursday, December 31st) What we could've, should've or would've done in this current year will pass away when the clock strikes one second after midnight. I don't know of anyone who didn't have in mind a number of things they would have liked to have accomplished that are yet to be completed in 2015. I sit here thinking about several I had on my mind but they are yet to be finished. While it is not easy, coming up with goals, changes, improvements, intentions, plans, new purposes, aspirations, desires, wishes, dreams, and hopes are not the most difficult part of the process. I'm pretty sure we all know that. It is the taking of the necessary steps and actions to see them accomplished that challenge us. I guess it's good that we have the ability to roll over those uncompleted that are still important to us. That may not always be the case. But, if it is the case this time, well, we have to take advantage of it, roll them over, and figure out how they will be finished in this brand new year of 2016. Believe me, I can come up with many reasons or excuses for why I didn't get them done. Those can be quite convincing. Yet, the truth remains. I need to get them done or as that comedian fellow says it, "Just git er done."

I could say that my goal was to become better at being a procrastinator but I know that wouldn't fly. (I do, however, like that one very much.) There's always the option of blaming others. I love that option. Don't we all? Yet, when it comes down to it, typically it is mostly that trio who has gotten in our way. You know the one I'm talking about. Me, myself, and I. I can look at a lot of things I did get done. That's always helpful too. I have a calendar book. I've been writing in them each year since the 1970's. It's good to review the year and see not only things left undone but to celebrate those that were accomplished. I intentionally did some things that were important to me. One example I thought about was to find ways to honor my aging parents. For me, that meant time. You know time. Right? That's the thing we all have way too little of in our busy busy world. But, that's one area where I feel like I did accomplish some of what I intentionally committed myself to. I'm not patting myself on the back. Just sharing an example. I love it when my mom and dad say they feel honored because of something I did on their behalf. That was my goal. I have a few others like that one where I set out to make progress and I did make progress. Sure. I'm pretty bummed about those I didn't get done but I encourage us all to not neglect those areas where, with God's help, we did make some progress. Celebrate those and be thankful for them.

How do we deal with all these challenges that tend to complicate our making progress? Be thankful to God that you are able to pursue change in your life. Yesterday as I was driving into work at 4 a.m. it dawned on me how blessed I was to be, yes, driving into work. I woke up on time. I was refreshed and ready to get on with my day. I was able to have an anticipation for the new day before me. That caused me to pause and thank God for those things. I know. That sounds very cliche but it hit me that it was a bigger blessing than maybe I had stopped to think about. And, at the same time, it means on this day, the last day of 2015, I have been given the breath of life in my body, and the thought process to write this blog, and the knowledge to assess my year and think seriously about where I would like to go in 2016. Can't you see those things are all blessings from the Lord God of heaven? Because they are it brings me to my final thought on this final day of 2015. These are blessings, therefore, I must, you must, we must, consider the sentiment of the question Saul (Apostle Paul) had when he came face to face with the living Lord of the universe on the road to Damascus: "Lord, what will You have me to do?" (Acts 22:10) That would be a tremendous place for us all to start our plans and aspirations for 2016. It would. It really would. Have a great last day of the year and may God bless one and all as we embrace the new one as He provides. Amen.   ....More later.

No comments: