Friday, December 11, 2015

"We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give." ~ Winston S. Churchill

Good morning America and I am proud to welcome you to our little sit down for today, here on this Friday, December 11, 2015. One of the positive developments within social media is the awareness of people in need. There are a variety of funding utilities that people use to try and help raise money for every kind of situation imaginable because that's exactly what happens to people, every situation imaginable. From little ones with chronic and critical medical needs all the way up to trying to raise funds to pay for funeral expenses. I haven't seen any that jump out at me as being unreasonable or unworthy. However, the sheer magnitude of requests is not only daunting but by and large, they are overwhelming. My heart would love to respond to them all. But, that's just not possible. Some have concluded since they can't help them all they will just not help any. I've not gotten to that point but I will say it is challenging especially because the needs are great. I'm glad these tools are available to help people and I'm thankful that we have been able to respond to a number of them. One thing we can all do when we see an appeal of this sort. We can pause and pray. That might not seem like much but God can do so much more than we can. I think I will add an Amen to that one. So here it is: Amen!

Someone was telling me the other day how they finally came to realize how God would place something in their heart and mind. When a need or a person or a situation keeps coming to them they said it took them a while to appreciate it was God urging them to do something. That's not a bad thing for us all to be aware of. God actually calls on us to do specific things in serving and helping others and we often may miss out on His moving if we are not tuned in and paying attention. I can identify with this as well. There have been times when I hesitated and afterwards I was left disappointed that I did not heed God's call to do something. It would do each of us good to develop a sensitivity to His working in our life because when we miss out on an opportunity to be His help and His hands, well, we also miss the blessing that comes from bringing honor to Him. When the Apostle Paul was rehearsing his sacrificial ministry among the Ephesians he had this to say:  "I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.’" That's found in Acts Chapter 20, Verse 35. I've actually heard pastors teach that verse to say it's better to be able to be a giver than to be the one in need of receiving indicating having something is better than being in need. That doesn't work for me. It is better to have a genuine giving heart, period, like the example of our Savior and the Apostle Paul. That verse is also interesting because those words of Jesus quoted by Paul are not found anywhere in the New Testament. This has baffled Bible scholars over the years. Paul got much of what he knew from supernatural revelation but in this case he may have quoted what was a part of the commonly understood oral tradition indicating this as a statement by our Savior. Amen.


It's been a challenging week but one that I am thankful for. The other evening we went across the Houston metro expanse where I as Santa sat in the Chair for 2 and 1/2 hours. It was at a very busy fast food establishment. This event was a melting pot example. I believe nearly every nationality, creed, and color was represented in the faces of these beautiful children. I couldn't help but think about some of the words from the children's song, Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world and they are precious in His sight. I know I am a good Santa but not just because of the suit or the real beard. I'm a good Santa because I too love these children and they are precious in my sight. I actually think that comes through. That doesn't mean that some of them are not out of control and in need of some loving discipline. Us older folks know what I am talking about. "Applying the board of education to the their seat of knowledge." That is in and of itself a demonstration of love when it is properly administered. Well, what have we learned today class? Some sermonizing on what it means to have a giving heart and how that children are special to God. That's likely enough for me to say grace over, what say you? Have a great Saturday and Lord's Day Sunday and I will do my very best, Lord willing, to see you here on this same station come next Monday. May God bless. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: