Wednesday, December 9, 2015

"Faith and prayer are the vitamins of the soul; man cannot live in health without them." ~ Mahalia Jackson, (1911-1972), Beloved Gospel Singer

Hello and welcome. Today is Wednesday, December 9, 2015. When I sit in the Chair I get asked a lot of questions. I also hear the wishlists of kiddos of all ages. Recently we did a program for a large gated subdivision out in the country. This man, his wife, and three children approached me. They wanted photos of the three children individually and then all of them together. After that they requested a family photo. In talking to the three children I was so impressed by what they asked for. With no hesitation whatsoever they asked for something that would be a help to others or an item that reflected upon their faith. I had already guessed that the man was a pastor but the sincerity of the children really got my attention. It was clear that mom and dad loved Christmas. I could tell. But, more importantly, they wanted the season to be a part of their witness and testimony. These children were not prompted at all. It touched me and it reminded me of what Moses had to say to the parents of the little ones after they had left Egypt. ~ “Now this is the commandment, and these are the statutes and judgments which the Lord your God has commanded to teach you, that you may observe them in the land which you are crossing over to possess, that you may fear the Lord your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, you and your son and your grandson, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged. Therefore hear, O Israel, and be careful to observe it, that it may be well with you, and that you may multiply greatly as the Lord God of your fathers has promised you—‘a land flowing with milk and honey.’ “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. “And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." ~ Deuteronomy Chapter 6, Verses 1-9

Some might conclude these children are being brainwashed. My observation of their situation would lead me to a completely different conclusion. They are being taught priorities in life with God and service to Him at the top of their list. This reminds me of a communications executive who told me once that he and his wife were undecided about religion. They really couldn't find any good reason for being involved in it. He asked what I thought. He said he had heard that I was one of those who go to every service. He added that it must be making business contacts that motivated me. I told him that wasn't it at all. I told him I believe in everything the Bible has to say about God and about my need of Him from Genesis to The Revelation. He seemed surprised. He said he and his wife were going to let the children decide for themselves when they get to an appropriate age. He also put forth how that he and his wife did not intend to influence the children one way or the other. I very politely told him that he was influencing his children every single day and because of that they would likely end up adopting the views of he and his wife.  I don't know about you but I prefer the approach the folks are following as indicated in the first paragraph. That's my take.

I know I've shared that little story before. But, when that's what comes to mind I throw it out there. One thought triggers the next and that's how we get to where we are on today's page. What about misfires? That, my friend, is an occupational hazard when you do this everyday and do it working without a net. When that connection process finds a match I start humming that song from the Disney Frozen movie, "Let it flow....Let it flow." You do know I'm just messing around. Yes. The Frozen movie franchise is still relevant to little girls of all ages and I've had plenty of requests for Frozen/related articles for Christmas. Star Wars continues to be big. Imagine that. They somehow have kept that whole genre alive and I get requests for games, Lego sets, and all kinds of figurines, light sabers, and related gear from little kids who were not even being contemplated when that first movie came out in 1977. (I read a blurb that said people were already in line out in California waiting for the new Star Wars movie which will not be shown for another 12 days.) Talk about staying power! These little kids are asking for toys from something their dads were excited about and even in some cases, perhaps their granddads. Hats off to those who figure out how to sell their wares. Okay. I see they are giving me the sign to wrap it up for today. If I don't leave the stage now they will use the hook. Take care, enjoy the blessings God has given and may He be honored in our lives. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: