Wednesday, December 23, 2015

“Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.” ― Henry James

Wednesday already? It's almost like it's a short work week. Oh, I see. That's because that's exactly what it is! Welcome once again where the countdown continues here on this wonderful December 23, 2015 date. One last thing about our Santa season. I do not exaggerate when I tell you the people the wife and I have worked with are some of the most gracious and wonderful folks who breathe air on the planet. I'm talking about those who invite us and organize our events. I won't bore you with all the nitty-gritty details of how challenging this work can be but I did lose three pounds during this season's merry go round. My point is to contrast the difficulties against those who have been so kind and accommodating to us. The Junior League folks, Mindy Harmon and her professional photography team, the Chick-fil-A folks, and HEB are just a sampling of these I am talking about. Here's just one of so many examples: The lady who coordinates our HEB store appearances is so wonderful. She remembered that our wedding anniversary falls right in the time when we are so busy. On my last day in one of their stores, she and the store manager presented the wife and I with a special cake to honor our 51st anniversary. We knew nothing about it. Just one little story. I could tell you more. Yes. Contrary to popular belief Santa is a very taxing role to play. But, are we blessed or what? And, do we live in a great country, or what? Amen and Amen!

As one might expect it has been an up and down day by day, moment by moment journey as our dear Bro. Milton's saga continues. If you have ever been exposed to hospice care you know the value of this service to those dealing with potential life ending illnesses. Their work is priceless but it is also a sobering and gut wrenching event to have them attend to your needs. They are professional and they know how things typically unfold based on the best medical knowledge and their long experience. This is the early stages of their involvement in Bro. Milton's care. I've been thinking a lot about just how a preacher becomes so beloved. In the pulpit Bro. Milton could thunder with the voice of God as he did his best to make clear the message of God. As a pastor, evangelist, servant of the Lord, friend, and brother in Christ, I can't think of anyone I've ever known who was more selfless, meek, and humble as he dealt with and moved among people. I don't know that many people period, including men of God, who are known for their genuine humility. I do know one. Bro. Milton. And, I thank God for this testimony and pray God's closeness to him as he continues to write this final chapter of his life. May God care for him and all of his precious family. Amen.

Bro. Milton's testimony also reminds us all that having Christ in our lives is the number one need, the number one fulfillment, and the number one certainty of an eternal life in His presence. Cleon, the elder brother in the wife's family is a very wise man. He thinks before his says something. Recently, in talking with the two girls he told them this, "In many ways this is what Milton has worked for his entire life." That is absolutely the truth. My oh my. I've thought about that statement many times since I first heard it. We are all headed somewhere. We get up every day and make progress towards that destination. If we have made Jesus the Lord of our life then we are on our way to our true home. We are headed there every moment of every day. Cleon was both prophetic and he was also accurate in his assessment. We are saddened by this circumstance with it's pain and the coming separation but at the same time we rejoice in knowing that we too are headed for the same exact place. That, my friend, is pretty exciting and I thank God for the assurance of our heavenly home. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: