Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Word for the Day: Multifarious, meaning: having or occurring in great variety.

Let me see. Today is Wednesday, July 1, 2015. That's right. Half of the year is gone. Already. It may have been slow when I was a kid but to tell the truth it seems to fly by these days. I was told growing up that it's best to buy your watermelons after the 4th of July. With all the genetic engineering and imported crops I'm not sure it matters anymore. We bought one last week and it was as good as any I have ever eaten. It was delicious all the way down to the rind. We will be observing Friday as a holiday since the 4th falls on Saturday. That's got some of the fellows here a little jumpy. I suppose they are anticipating their time off. I'm hoping the wife will be back by then. Oh, I didn't tell you. She left me again this past Monday morning. She's over in Louisiana to be with her sister for her cataract surgery. I mowed the front yard after I got in from work on Monday afternoon. She had already mowed the back but judged the front wouldn't need it until Monday. I try to follow the example of the encouragement I used to give to the inner city kids in the Bible club I was very involved in. We told them that good clubbers always follow instruction. Check? Check.

Here's some interesting tidbits. Duck Dynasty opened their 8th season last Wednesday evening. They won their time slot and was the most watched cable TV show in prime time. (We were some of the watchers.) I read several of the hung over haters who are still working hard in hopes bringing down this show, the family, and more importantly, any and all Christian values they embrace and portray. Then I opened up a new report that indicated Chick-fil-A was judged to be the number one fast food restaurant in America. This was their first year on this recognized survey included in the American Customer Satisfaction Index Restaurant Report 2015. Their first time to be included and they scored the highest satisfaction rating in the history of the survey. These were the folks who were targeted to be run out of town, burned at the stake, and made to be only a fading memory. Why? They made a statement in support of Biblical marriage. That did it. That cranked up the hate machine but obviously a majority of Americans didn't buy into this sinister campaign. Good for Duck Dynasty. Good for Chick-fil-A. And, if you want my word on it, good for America too!

I'm just trying to do my part in living up to that definition of the word for the day. You might call it being all over the place, the page, or who knows where. I use the word however quite often. I heard the other day a professional broadcaster saying that anytime you hear someone on the air and they use the word however they are most likely reading it from a script. He said people don't use the word however when they are in conversation. They might say but or they might infer with their facial expressions the intent of a differing view. Really? I can't be sure but I think I say however now and again. Or maybe it's on the other hand, albeit, or it could be nevertheless, and I know for sure I use the word yet. In fact yet is one I often use in my writing and I do try to write like I talk. I came away from that little bit of insight without a really good understanding of anything other than it was of some interest since I do write some and I also speak quite a bit as well. Now that we have that unsettled let's see if we can work on getting to where we need to go. That would be making it a good day. Try it. May God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: