Monday, July 13, 2015

“Don’t rub noses with a shark. It may be the last dental appointment you ever have.” ― Jarod Kintz, Author

It's just me. I was going to say I come with a word from the lonesome dove but my understanding is that moniker is already taken. Hello and welcome. It's Monday, July 13, 2015. There's been a larger than normal amount of shark bite incidents this year and in particular off the cost of North Carolina. This has coincided with the highly promoted annual cable TV show, Shark Week. Sharks are high on the list of fears that people have. Much of this has to do with the amount of publicity these incidents get. Here's a sub topic headline I saw on the NY Times website, "You are more likely to win Olympic gold than be a victim of a shark attack." Statistical probabilities do not make the young teen feel better about the recent loss of his arm, but, it does help to shed light on whether this shark phobia is worthy of so much hand wringing and concern. Based on the five people who die annually as a result of a shark attack you are more likely to die from obesity, lightning, texting while driving, death from a hippo attack, an airplane crash, from a volcano eruption, shopping on black Friday, falling out of your bed, falling coconuts, hitting a deer on the highway, from a tornado, jellyfish attack, dog bite, ants, or a roller coaster wreck. Having that empirical data should help you to come up with a new nightmare. Just sharing.

I often comment regarding the pros and cons associated with social networking sites like Facebook. The wife and I enjoy keeping up with friends and family. That's more or less our exclusive use. Others use it to market stuff. I applaud people who want to work from home as they engage their entrepreneurial spirit. However, and you knew I had a however coming. Right? However, it is interesting to see how many of the products they promote are in direct contradiction and competition to some of the products their friends are pushing. I also enjoy seeing folks adopt an improvement activity of some type. One recently started an exercise program which is great. Sharing that is good because I assume it includes some accountability. After a short time exercise becomes very very important. Next comes the promotion of exercise as a way of life. I'm not being critical but it's amusing. Here they were being a more or less anonymous couch potato and they have now transitioned to an evangelizing fitness guru. Interesting. I enjoy it. And, I watch. You can observe a lot when you do that. But, you knew that already. Right?

I know I can mangle the language about as well as anyone and you likely notice some of my more egregious mishaps. I do try hard. Wrong. Not for the mishaps. I still like to see other people's 'close but no cigar' postings. Here's a few from Twitter. ~ "I'm a force to be record with just watch me shine! ~ "Please help. I'm having flashes. I can't be going through mini-pulse at 21 can I?" ~ "A lot of people on Twitter are like posting their Altar Eagle." (alter ego) ~ "If my followers are so alliteryte, maybe they should just read a book." ~ "I told the yogurt shop lady I was lacktoe intolerance but she didn't seem to care." ~ "Laugh all you want but I would rather have sellulight than be so skinny." ~ "My mom makes too many cakes and cookies. I might get die of beaties." ~ "That's heavy man. So soobliminol." ~ "She is the best. She is the apidimi of what a woman should be." ~ "Faithfulness is the key to long jeverdy." ~ "They act fake because they have low self stream." ~ "How was Paris? Did you go to the Ifold Tower?" ~ "Some go with natural birth others do the sea sexion." ~ "They say he's crazy and might consider sue aside." ~ "The valid victorian at my school was a pot head." ~ "I'm no Willy Wonka. I don't sugar code anything!" ~ You may think these were made up. They may have been but they were linked to by the BBC. Let's hear a collective hurrah for spell check software! Or maybe we should support bringing back word definition, grammar and spelling as subjects in school. Have a great rest of the day and may God bless each one. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: