Monday, July 6, 2015

Jeff Gordon: "NASCAR has provided me so many incredible memories, experiences and opportunities throughout my 23 years as a driver, and I can't wait to start a new chapter in racing with this new relationship with FOX and to be in the booth with Mike (Joy) and Darrell.I feel so lucky to be a part of a sport that I'm very passionate about, and now I get the opportunity to share that passion to millions of race fans from a whole new perspective."

Welcome back. I do hope you enjoyed your remembrance of God's providence in allowing us to be a part of this great nation. It's Monday and already July 6, 2015, and time to get on with it. The US Women's Soccer team have had a phenomenal run in the FIFA World Cup. FIFA is the governing body that runs the world cup for both men and women. The wife and I have watched the US play several times and I can't remember any better team effort than the one they played against Germany to gain entrance into the finals. We watched last evening as they won the whole shebang and are now the world champions. But, that's not my point. A staff writer for FIFA wrote an article about the US team and when he mentioned one player in particular he used the phrase that she was easy on the eyes, meaning that she is good looking. She is. She's in a number of commercials probably because of that. However, when he used that phrase the swords came out. How dare him? It is insulting to women athletes. They want him drummed out of the business. My take: She is cute and she's also a good soccer player. That's true no matter who says it. I move on. Jeff Gordon, famous NASCAR driver is finishing his final season as an on track competitor. He has already signed with FOX Sports to be in the broadcast booth next year. The booth already has a team who have worked together for 15 years. Therefore, one fellow is out to make room for Jeff. I heard his farewell and while it was respectful there seemed to be a tinge of bittersweet coming through. Jeff's my driver. I'm glad he will be broadcasting next year. For the other guy: I hate it for him personally but we've all been there and done that because life can be tough.

Last week International Joke Day was celebrated on twitter. There were some real stinkers posted by would be comedians. Here's a few that I felt were somewhat amusing. Very somewhat, if you know what I mean. ~ Was shocked to learn from my doctor that I was color-blind. It came completely out of the green. ~ Someone threw a bottle of Omega 3 tablets at me. I only received super fish oil injuries, but still.~ What do you call a piggy that does karate? A pork chop, of course. ~ Be careful when it's raining cats and dogs. You might step in a poodle. ~ What kind of shoes does a frog wear? Open toad sandals. ~ Two birds sitting on a perch when one says to the other, "Do you smell fish?" ~ What's the best way to communicate with a fish? Drop it a line. ~ Did you notice that fake pasta? It was an impasta? ~ How dumb was that kid? I'm not sure but I know he spent an hour staring at the orange juice container because it said Concentrate. ~ If I make you breakfast in bed a simple thank you is sufficient. None of this how did I get into house routine. ~ I did say somewhat and remember they are not mine. They came from all over the world. Still bad? Sorry.

One would think the role of our national leader-in-chief is to inspire confidence and especially pride in the greatness that defines who we are as Americans. Not our current leader. Gallup now reports a drop in the percentage of those who are 'very proud' to be an American. At one time in recent history that number was more than 70%. Today it is at 54%. Now it is time for me to tell you my opinion as to why this has happened. Certainly the challenges in this difficult economy has taken a toll. However, this constant downing of our heritage, and the institution of policies that have not lifted either wages or spirits have worked together to cause this change. I think about Ronald Reagan's Morning in America campaign. Sure, it had its detractors who criticized it, but, the bottom line was how it emphasized the things that have made us the land of the free and the home of the brave. Why is it if unemployment is truly down to 5.3% does this sense of the doldrums still persist? Good question. They called Reagan a flag waver. I don't know about you but I could use a little cheer leading and flag waving for our country. What say you? Have a good rest of the day and may God bless you and may He once again bless our great land. Amen. ....More later.

No comments: